improving DVD image quality.

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by godzilla1, Sep 10, 2007.

1. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I would like to improve the image quality on my xbox 360 when watching DVD's on my 42 LCD. Im currently using component and the image quality is not great.

What can i do to improve the image?

2. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you use VGA then it will upscale the image.

3. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of a silly question, but how do i do that? Do i need a different cable?

4. DragonOfSilver

DragonOfSilver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    The 360's dvd quality ( as opposed to hd-dvd quality ) simply put isn't as good as it could be, I only use it due to convenience, it seems to either introduce, or poorly process image noise compared to any computer dvd player I've seen.

5. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    yeah you'd need a vga cable

6. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about this £14.99 VGA from dixons?

[​IMG]

Whats the 'bonus' optical lead for? I've just checked my xbox 360 outputs and i can see no inputs / outputs for an optical lead.

Cash wise, Im wiped out at the moment. Are there any other cost effective leads worth looking at in that price range?

many thanks

7. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The bonus optical lead is for getting Dolby 5.1 to your amp. You will find the relevent slot on the video connector device which you use to plug your xbox into your tv.
    :thumbsup:

8. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    Get the official cable. It's by far the best one around this price range. And before you buy, make sure your TV can accept 1920x1080 over VGA :)

9. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    VGA is the only option on regular 360 ( ones other then the Elite ) for upscaling DVD's. Whether it will make a significant difference only you can decide. If you're going to get the VGA cable ( assuming you have a VGA connection on your LCD ) I would however suggest getting the official one.

10. hatton920

hatton920
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would say dont get a vga cable. Yes it upscales but the vga cable is locked to 60hz and pal dvds are at 50hz and this difference will cause micro sutters in the picture.

11. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much guys.

Slight problem. My LG 42 lc2db has the VGA / PC input, however i cant see an 'audio in'. However, I guess I could seperate the VGA connector lead from the RCA's lead then run the RCA's to my seperate stereo amp and use that for sound.

My resolution is 1366 x 768.

Should i stick with component then?

Edit:

Thanks hatton. just googling micro stutters

12. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    There should be a single 3.5mm audio connection next to the VGA input. I would be very surprised if there wasn't one. Ofcourse you can connect the two phono leads to your amp as an alternative. It would give louder much punchier sound. Having said that I don't see the point in watching DVD's if you're not going to use an optical cable to get surround sound assuming your amp supports it.

I can't comment on the stuttering issue as I have a US 360 and watch mainly region 1 DVD's. US consoles obviously only support 60hz. as do region 1 DVD's.

13. hatton920

hatton920
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  14. godzilla1

godzilla1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. There is indeed an input above the VGA (i could not see it at first) My amp is a two channel job (rotel ra -04). I reckon i would get better sound going through the Rotel amp & speakers than by going through the TV's own speakers. Plus i could always bolt on a sub in the future.

I've also been fiddling with the Xbox video settings. According to the software prompts, I need an Xbox HD cable to configure the HD settings. I reckon i will give a VGA cable a go. Im now looking at the SpeedLink Xbox HD Cable Pro. Its cheaper than the microsoft VGA and all the connectors appear to be gold plated. If its any better than my standard setup, then i will invest in a better cable at a future date.

4% quicker films? :thumbsdow I'll keep that in mind when i get a mainstream DVD player.

Thanks

15. noisecrime

noisecrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Just to point out the obvious (in case you've missed it) using the component lead on a HD TV requires you to set the little switch on the component lead (the part that you plug into the xbox) to HD setting. I'm not entirely sure if it matters, but if you are having problems selecting say 720p on your xbox this might be the cause.

As has been pointed out on component you can get games upto 1080p, HD-DVD to 1080i but DVD only to 480p ( arn't dvd's at 576? in which case you'd be losing resolution). Mind you I would have thought your TV would have decent upscaling that would help anyway.

Personally I think you'll better off buying a reasonable/cheap price DVD player instead, especaily if you can get one with hdmi assuming your TV has one too.

16. Torquemada UK

Torquemada UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was precisely to avoid the micro stutters that I bought a PS3 as a BlueRay player (as it outputs 1080/24p, which my Sony D3000 can handle).

Of course, once Transformers is out next month, I'll have to invest in the Xbox HD add-on :D

Am I right that it's 1080p over HDMI, 1080i over VGA and 720p over component? If so, I'll be trying component first and, if it's noticeably poorer than the 1080p from the PS3, then I'll be investing in a VGA cable myself. :smashin:

17. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    You can do 1080p using VGA as long as your TV supports it.

18. Torquemada UK

Torquemada UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - I checked the XBOX site and confirmed that for HD-DVD it's 1080i by component and 1080p by VGA - so I'll try comp first as the D3000 can smoothly de-interlace thanks to it's 100Mhz+ refresh.

And who want's to bet that no sooner do I buy the HD player than they start bringing out HD disks with the HDMI-only lock enabled...:rolleyes:

19. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    To get around the potential HDCP issue does your tv have a spare hdmi socket? If not Joytech make a three to one hdmi switcher that can be got from amazon for around 25-30 notes.

20. Torquemada UK

Torquemada UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the spare HDMI socket on the TV - but I can't justify replacing my 360 with an Elite, so I'm stuck with component

21. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Fair enough. It does leave you in a mess with upscaling dvds though. I had this same exact problem exceptt Toshiba in their wisdom decided they did'nt need to accept 1920x1080 resolutions via the vga input (cheers guys!!).

One trade in of a Premium and every peripheral/game I could spare (to get the most money off I could, managed £240 off £300 for the Elite and a copy of Halo 3 when it comes out:smashin:) and I'm now the happy owner of an elite.

I watched Star Wars EPs4 and 5 the other day to see the difference it had made and there was a marked definite improvement. Not as good as a pukka HDDVD but damn good imho.

22. Torquemada UK

Torquemada UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - I'm using the PS3 for upscaling DVDs and, as you say, they look great. The HD-DVD player for the 360 will be just to tide me over on HD-only releases (Transformers, Heroes box set, Forbidden Planet, etc) until this stupid format war :eek: is over, one way or the other.

23. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,473
    You know I starting to think the two formats may exist for a while yet - especially if we start getting decent affordable dual format players.

24. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't see either blu-ray or HD-DVD going the way of the Dodo anytime soon. ;) :D