Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Improving black levels on VW10HT

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by LV426, Sep 29, 2001.

1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I picked this idea up from the Big Picture. And it works.

I bought a colour correcting filter from formatt.co.uk CC20R. 85mm square gel, cost £9.

Stuck to the front of the projector with blu-tack; will try something more permanent later.

This makes the picture pink, but reduces the brightness of the blacks significantly.

To fix the pinkness, go into the service menu, and modify one of the custom colours as follows:

Use a black & white movie (eg the early part of Pleasantville) as a reference. Crank the red gain up to 255. Increase the green and blue values until the picture looks OK ie black&white.

Now, all you have to do is set brightness and contrast correctly, and away you go. Blacks are now only about 50% as bright as they were, and other colours all look OK.

2. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +534
    I wonder if this is something similiar to what Sony has done with the new VW11HT. <br />It was something i was going to try with my VW10HT, but the "Event" got to me!.<br />I will hopefully be getting my new CRT sorted out next week.<br />But i still stand by my statement that for size/ease/cost the Sony is a superb projector.<br />It's "only" failing is true blacks. But with this filter idea plus using a grey screen, it must be getting close.

3. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would this filter be ok for a Sony-VPL-CX1 ?

thanks!

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Don't know enough about the CX1 to comment; the "fix" relies on the fact that, in the VW10, the gain on the red panel has to be set higher than on the other two to get a good greyscale. You can see this in the VW10 by going into the service menu and looking at the gain values.

So, if there is a similar menu in the CX1 in which you can individually adjust the three colour gains, and the current settings show that red is set higher than blue and green, then the same theory will apply.