Improvement on QED Silver Bi--wire?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Atchi123, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi, I'm running the AV spec listed in my sig below with QED SA bi-wire to the front three speakers and wondered if a cable upgrade would improve the musicality of my system? I've heard the Van Damme and Chord brands are supposed to be very good for reasonable money.

2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    I'd highly doubt it.

Despite what you will read in the magazines I've yet to see a single true blind test demonstrate that anyone can tell different cables apart on sound or 'musicality' once you get past the stage of having enough copper.

If you are bi-wiring with SA then you already have enough copper there so a change isn't likely to make much of a difference.

What you may want to do is re-terminate your cables as if they have been there for a while there may be some oxidization on the ends and that may have the same effect as fitting new cables yet will be a lot cheaper :)

3. Atchi123

Atchi123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Thanks, I know this topic can be quite a divisive one! I might look at getting some QED airlocks on them instead. Do you reckon they are worth it?

4. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    The only advantage they offer is that they should remove the need to periodically remake the cable ends as they should cut down on the oxidization considerably.

But I'm not sure if that is worth the expense when you can get other plugs for a fraction of the price.

Why not just remake your ends with the plugs you've got and see if that delivers an improvement anyway at no cost.