Improved 7.2.2 (.2 placement)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cybergate9, Jun 20, 2018.

1. cybergate9

cybergate9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks

I saw a comment elsewhere about mounting atmos (SKH-410's) upfiring from behind TV (instead of on top of L/R fronts). In effect this might (as always depending on your setup) get the atmos a bit higher and more 'centred' - so I thought I'd give it a go.. And in most setups (with TV on stand) relatively easy to do, i.e. just hang speakers on wall behind tv..

I tried this and it works very well, and sound stage wise is much more satisfying to me than having them on top of the L/R fronts (this is massively subjective of course..)

My setup Denon 5200W, Dali Zensor 5 fronts, Zensor 1 surrounds, Onkyo-410 upfiring atmos, room a rectangle at 5m x 3.6m, 2.4 m ceiling height. The upfirings are now at about 1400 mm height on wall behind 55 inch tv.. this sets them so they are not visible from front and line up behind tv just below the height of the screen (so they still have a nice clear upfiring path..)

I'm guessing this improves things because with only .2 for height there's, in reality, not much directionality which can be created in the height 'channel' (versus say the full 7 channel surround 'stage', and/or a 'proper' .4 atmos ceiling setup as discussed at length here on avforums).

My guess is the (subjective) improvement comes from:
    1) reducing the left/right separation helps with height not being dispersed so widely (down the 'side walls') - atmos L/R are about 1500mm apart now, where as front L/R are a bit over 3m apart
    2) this in turn concentrates height information towards the centre of ceiling (and therefore ideally gets it reflected nicely, 'aiming' it fairly tightly toward the centre listening seat
    3) given they are crossover'd at 150hz (I set them up as front height on the Denon 5200) this further separates them into a more discrete/differentiated 'height channel' towards the centre of the room

As an aside I prefer them 'hidden' too as I was never ascetically very happy with 'bobble on top of my main fronts' :)

So I thought I'd write it up in case it might help others to get a more pleasing sound stage from their .2 atmos setups (I'm guessing there's many who may not want to go the whole .4 atmos step - as if like me, adding the extra .2 requires extra amplification as well as extra speakers and runs to too many £££s as an upgrade)

hope this helps
    Shaun

2. johny1980

johny1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +335
    6 months down th line this is helpful

I haven't fancied the idea of ceiling speakers as my setup is in the living room and didn't really wanna outlay the cost of upfiring speakers or them looking ungainly sitting on top of the floorstanders

But I've just got a pair of the onkyos of amazon France for £60

At that price worth some experimentation

I've read somehwere that they should not be placed up past half way up the height of the roof. That's only a bit higher than my floor standers but I can put them up just above my TV and narrower than the floor standers.

That in itself should help with separation?

3. cybergate9

cybergate9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah I think so, but with only .2 in the 'atmos set' I've found it's a bit hit and miss and experimenting is really the only way..

What you're suggesting sounds close to where my setup ended up and I'm happy with the 'increased' stage although, again, with only .2 I'm not expecting any miracles with properly encoded atmos (object based rather than channel based) stuff as I accept there simply isn't enough speakers in my setup to resolve finely grained object positioned sound..

When it sounds nice to you, you've found the right position! :)