1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Impressive motherboard ordered...

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Stuart Wright, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    Upgrading my main PC. It's a dual PIII 866 with 1 gig RAM and so an upgrade will be to a hefty machine.
    After doing some research I've settled for this motherboard:
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/8iexp.htm
    which has onboard USB 2.0 (40x faster than normal USB), onboard lan, onboard raid (4 ide ports), onboard firewire, onboard smart media connectors and onboard sound with an S/PDIF output.
    3 x 256 266 DDR ram and a Pentium 4 2.26B S478 512KB 533FSB.
    This RAM because it's faster than the SDRAM I have now and only £30 + VAT per 256. And that processor because of the 512k level 2 cache.
    I'll let you know how it works out.
    Any comments?

2. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    I'm afraid Gigabyte motherboards aren't that good. They have very slow performance compared to Asus and Abit.

And as for Mhz per £, the AMD CPU's offer far better value for money, plus you can go dual CPU aswell, for a reasonable price.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gigabyte are fine boards, reliable too. Maybe they are not as fast as Asus or Abit but they are OK. I used to be an Abit man but had too many problems with them blowing up. I currently run all Asus and have no complaints whatsoever.

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Give me reliability any day particularly with HCPC. My Asus MB based machine, although fast, has been a right royal pain in the butt. All our machines are way over specified now days, an extra 2% performance difference is a drop in an ocean. With P4 2100+ now days, the lowly Celeron 500Mhz needed for DVD looks a bit sad. I’ll take reliability any day, wish I had thought of that before I built the bloody thing.

Stuart, weren’t tempted by the new AOPEN motherboard with valve output stage? ;)

Looks interesting, keep us posted please

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
    I use Asus and Abit all round, and they are 100% stable, even when over-clocked.

For DVD purposes, one machine has PIII-600 overcolcked to 744, and it runs fine with GeForce2 GTS, and the other machine is a P133 with Dxr2 decoder card.

So i guess we can say 2ghz PC's are not necassary.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    MJN

You are lucky. I have a Celeron 600 which has been tested and proved stable at 900 elsewhere. In my Asus Black Pearl it isn't stable at 600! Frankly I gave up with it a while ago. I fancy a new P4 with a valve output stage.:D

I think this often hit and miss. Traditionally I have used Abit and Asus as well but this last board has given me problems. Best board I ever had was an Abit BP6 Dual Celeron board. Brilliant. I love dual processors.

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do you honestly notice the difference with dual processors, i was reading something on tom's hardware guide, that said unless you were using decoding divx or other intensive stuff, it wouldn't make much of a difference.

I am looking to upgrade to an AMD 2100+ can anyone suggest a good abit or asus board. And with memory/fsb speeds up in the air, what should I be looking for. I wish they'd settle down for a bit I am confused as hell.

9. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    Personally, I would recommend the Epox mobo's, very reliable and extremely good for overclocking. Also a tad cheaper than Asus, Abit I am not a fan of as I have had a couple of them blow out and I know a lot of people who have problems with them.

10. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I tend to stick with Asus and Intel chipsets. I've had a few problems with a Via based dual PIII Asus mobo. Having said which it pays not to A) buy the latest model and B) check around on the web for 'early adopter experiences' Also, I'd beware of suspiciously cheap RAM. Crucial or similar will usually give less mysterious problems.

11. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see so many similar experiences to my own. Abit make great boards, very stable, but tend to blow up quite often. I too had a BP6 with 2 Celeron 533's to get a 1 gig machine before it was allowed. You had to run Win 2000 to get the dual CPU bit though. That board blew up, as did a ZM6 and a VA6.

I now run 2 Asus CUSL P3 boards with Celeron 900's in both. Totally reliable and stable. I can throw any hardware at them and they just work.

Also good are MSI, Supermicro and Aopen (as mentioned above).

I reckon they are all pretty good nowadays unless they have PC Chips not written on them.

Me, I've gone back to reliablity and stopped chasing performance. You spend £500 and you've got an obsolete heap of junk in 6 months time. My PC's do exactly what I want so why bother?

S

12. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here, here! My 2nd most reliable PC is based on an A-Open LX board with a PII 233. Still does what is asked of it. The most reliable one is a PI Gateway running Win3.11! Sadly not quick enough for HCPC.....

13. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go to your local Lloyds TSB and see what OS they use. Win for Workgroups? Surely not.

I do love XP though. It really does just work. Most of the time.

14. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    Since I will be using this PC for maintaining the websites I would actually put reliability over performance, though both are obviously important. I've had several Gigabyte boards - including the Dual PIII I'm now using and not had problems with any.
    I chose the Gigabyte partly because it got an 'A' list recommendation from PC PRO. While I don't trust PC PRO's judgement 100%, they're a reasonable guide.
    I'll be mirroring 2 WD 80 Gig 8 mb cache HDDs so I should get performance and reliability there.
    It will be interesting to compare performance from a dual PIII 866 with 1 gig SDRAM to P4 2.26 with 750 meg.
    MB, chip and RAM for £500 inc VAT.

15. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    LOL how on earth have you managed to blow up your abit boards?

I have had a few as upgrade at least every 6 months and never managed to blow one up and neither has the person i've sold the old one on to.

I wring every drop of performance out of them too which usually involves me volt modifying the board.

My current Abit KR7A is quite happily running 24/7 at 195 fsb and has been for 3 months now.

Next mobo will be Abit AT7 in the next few days.

Attached Files:

16. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guess I just got unlucky. The BP6 would never restart until it had cooled down as the warning buzzer always went off. In the end it just packed up. The ZM6 was the best, lasted a few years but just started getting wobbly, throwing up registry errors despite replacing everything else. The VA6 was a great idea and cheap (£42 as I remember) but it was a resounding failure. Mine worked OK for a bit then one day it was fried. May have been the PSU or a voltage spike in that case.

I love Abit and their attidute to performance but I now use Asus as I've always had 100% reliability out of them. Glad you have better luck with Abit than me. I do still have an Abit VGA card which is really good.

Spectre, your Gigabyte will be fine. The online Bios update is good on them too. My brother builds PC's and uses many Gigabyte boards, especially in Athlon systems. They are good value.

S

17. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way JSW, if I was a motherboard and my owner looked like Wesley Snipes, I would behave myself too.:cool:

18. JSW

JSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  19. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The gigabyte boards are excellent - world record holders in speed tests. They were used by Tomshardware/Anandtech as the first brand of board to be overclocked over 3.0GHZ.

ABit are also excellent. Most M/B's these days - reg. brand - are fine. I've had about equal number of most brands fail. Sometimes you get a bad model no. of board - but that can be from any company.

The problem I have with setting up HTPC's (and normal office PC's for clients) is the noise you usually have to endure with AMD cpu powered machines. If you're using an althon - they run hot - which means you must use a decent cooler/fan system to give it a good life. This generally means NOISE.

Example: The althon 1.4 i'm sitting here working on is a noisy bugger. The heatsink is a pretty good (and quiet one) - i don't care how hot it gets, because i don't value it. However, the Pentium Northwood 1.6 with a Zalaman fan running at just over 2,500 rpms - now THAT was a quiet machine.

Add a QuietPC fan, available from Kustom.co.uk, and you're really talking. The Zalaman comes with a speed adjuster, so you can increase the fan speed when doing something more taxing - like gaming - the music/sound usually wipes out any increased noise from the fan.

Maybe i've been spoilt working with quiet PC's so often, but i'm dammed if i'm putting an AMD in my living room. I'd rather run a VIA, with passive cooler, and a Realmagic card and loads of mem to play DVD's. Pretty poor for games, but on my widesceen, most games are a waste of time. I have a proper monitor for that sort of thing :)

20. CoolioCat

CoolioCat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. If i had to choose the best motherboad for HTPC out there - the ASUS boards win every time. The P4D333-VM is an excellent MicroATX board. As is the newer Asus P4B-533 VM (supports the 533 busspeed chips, like the 2.4B and 2.53B).

These P4 boards from Asus have superb overclocking. On the Northwood 1.6A units i supplied, each went to 2.1 GHZ with Zalaman fans on and worked superbly. The overclock takes 1 second in the bios - it literally asks "1.6 / 2.1 / Manual"

Superb.

Supplied a load of ELITE P4VMM2 boards (MicroATX) boards the other day. They are PURPLE :) Only supports 400Mhz bus speeds, but that's fine for the 1.7 Celerons sitting in them. Very impressed.

21. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    In relation to an earlier post, Abit and MSi (microstar) are the same manufacturer, MSi is the European name.

For a quiet PC, Pentiums are most likely your better choice due to the thermal protection and the ability to run them much cooler.

22. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,976
  23. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    LOL, ignore my n00b comment, got slightly confused, I was sure they were the same manufacturer!! It is just their mobo names are too similar for my liking.