Impressed by MCACC on Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by heyess, Apr 30, 2007.

Tags:
  1. heyess

heyess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, i thought it would post something positive. Having recently acquired a Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi-S, mainly for the HDMI/Component switching, I thought i would give the Automatic MCACC a try. Wow , very impressed.
    Recently i moved housed and i could never get a system to sound (subjectively) right. Moving from a Denon 1905 with kef eggs to a Denon 3805 and Kef iq9's helped a lot. But there was still a lingering issue, i just could not integrate the sub and speakers well and the bass sounded 'off' and wooly to me. Running the MCACC a couple of time has made a massive difference. The audio now sounds balanced alll the way through the frequency range. With music, the bass seems intergrated. With movies the sub bass is soooo smooth rather than overly rumbley- its hard to describe but the final effect is much more pleasing to ears.
    The only way it just doesnt quite match the 3805 is in stereo imaging. Playing CD's over iLink from my denon 3910 doesnt seem to create the seem sense of a 3d sound stage, as it did when when using Denon Link, but the difference is very, very minor.

Cheers

Steve

2. Mikeyd1963

Mikeyd1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi I have the same DVD player and will be getting the Ax4 very soon. Do you use an hdmi cable for audio as well as picture or do you use an optical or coaxial cable. Some people seem to have a problem with their ps3's is this problem purely a HD problem.

Thanks.

Mike.

3. heyess

heyess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I use iLink(firewire) for audio between the DVD and Amp. With regards to the PS3 issue, there is a known issue with this amp. With Multichannel LPCM Audio it does not apply the +10db LFE boost. This means that the LFE channel can sound weak. This effects SACD/DVD-A via iLink and LPCM via HDMI. Optical/Coaxial/ilink DD and DTS, and Multichannel analog inputs work fine. There is a firmware fix available. I spoke to pioneer today about it and it will be going to a local service centre soon.
    I assume that if you bought a new one you could insist the firmware was upgraded before delivery.

Steve

4. Mikeyd1963

Mikeyd1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    They tell me the mod is done, but ill believe it when I see it.