Imports..........your opinion please..

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulr, Aug 17, 2002.

1. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Hi
    I've just received my Sony NVP900 from dvdplayers.co.uk and there are 4 sets of instructions,..........and none in english.I'm guessing its a grey import.

In general,are grey imports ok.......advantages/disadvantages.Will it be the same quality etc as a Uk model.Ok.....i saved about £35 from the price at the Sony shop,but if quality etc is compromised id rather pay the extra............

Opinions please

Paul...

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought they were basically the same models throughout Europe anyway (hence the different languages available in the set up menu). Just the instructions which are different. So they will have just changed the plug (and added the mod of course).

I personally can't think of a reason to worry about it with regards to DVD players.

If you contact them, they'll probably send you a (photo)copy of the English instruction booklet.

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    You bought online to save £35? Rather than go to a proper shop? Why?

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    One point to consider, many Sony dealers have recently agreed new contracts, one clause releases any obligation to repair items not supplied by themselves.
    This is mostly to avoid any obligation to mail order purchasers but grey imports will be affected too.
    In a nutshell they only wish to service their own customers.
    My Sony MDS-DB940 minidisc recorder is an import bought through RS, I know RS will provide service. Many internet suppliers won't have service post swap-out so this will become a factor.
    Products for other markets may be different specification to U.K., maybe better, maybe not.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Gringotts - Sony won't touch a multi-region modified DVD player anyway, grey import or not.

Also, if model numbers are identical, player specs are identical, or no?

6. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    My version is multi-region......is the uk version multi-region too?

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sony along with all the others pay lip service to DVD Forum with regard to MR. In reality, makers supply the hacks, firmware upgrade discs and service support to their dealers knowing otherwise they will lose even more market share to non-conformists.
    Hacks and so on are not solely the preserve of Lone Gunmen.

Model numbers may have identifying suffix/prefix but may not, most obvious difference as you know is prevalence of U.S. component PS or Euro RGB scart.

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not without modification.

9. paulr

paulr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    So basically,apart from not having an English instruction book,my DVD player is EXACTLY the same as any UK version.

I can live with that.
    (Having said that i will be more careful in future to check out wether its a UK/Import)

Thanks
    Paul.....

10. snyphr

snyphr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Warranty is a difficult kettle of fish. Some manufacturers have a europe wide policy on their products so that life is made easier for them when it comes to general admin, especially taking into consideration the Euro and the european free market. However other manufacturers don't have this view. :eek:

For example (check warranty sheet) all Sony dvd products carry a european warranty. However other brands, example Panasonic, do not.

If you buy an item which is a grey import and falls outside the terms of the manufacturers warranty (often European stock sold in the UK) then an authorised repair centre can charge for the full cost of servicing & parts within the term of the said warranty (usually 12 months from date of purchase, etc. etc.). I suppose in the case of small items such as dvd players it's not such a big problem. But imagine the situation you could be in if you bought a 36" TV of 50" Plasma!!! :eek:

Most retailers are good and resolve such issues. :D It's all good saving a few pounds and buying a grey import knowingly :devil: , but please the check terms before purchase; ask the retailer, at least you'll know where you stand.

I suppose the reason why the manufacturers are so stuborn and do this is, essentiallty, to conrol sales and maintain profitability at the end of the day. They are all (mostly) individual cost centres based in each country and have to rival each other for sales to look good in front of big brother (Headquarters). :rolleyes:

With regards to warranty and multi region, where do you think the "upgrades" come from..... that's why most service agents turn a blind eye....

Personally, I'd buy grey for small items as I know where I stand, but with large bulky goods I'd rather pay the extra and know that the item is covered under warranty should it go wrong.

11. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not disagreeing with your post.
    This particular point is changing fast.
    Dealers by being "good" to folks buying mail order are simply feeding the hand that bites them.
    Chinese saying.....may you live in interesting times........
    Just who is going to "look after" post swap out internet purchases? Particulary expensive, heavy items such as......oh, large screen CRTs.
    Not saying it's right or wrong :cool: .

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,475
    If you went on holiday to France, saw a cheap DVD on offer, bought it back to the UK, then 6 months later it broke.

The manufacturer still has to honour the warranty cos it was bought in the EU.

This is one of the main reasons behind the EU thing, 1 market place, to borders, blah blah, blah

13. gazzerr

gazzerr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like it should be right but I just sold my 3802 in Holland having bought it from the UK and queried with Denon UK about the warranty. They said that it was no longer covered by the warrany which is a bit strange.

I move countries every 3/4 years and am amazed how global brand names can get away with not providing a world wide warranty when you buy from an authorised dealer. I bought my telly in Saudi - so like I'm going to take it back there if it get's a problem:devil:

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the sony 900 cost me £330 multi region i think the picture and sound is great on the machine