1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing XBOX 360 from US

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Parklife, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

Probably a really simple Q, but is there anything specific I need to bear in mind when importing an XBOX 360. Obviously the power is an issue, but I am guessing there are transformers available to sort this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,727
    Why do you want to import one anyway? Traditionally the attraction of importing is getting new consoles months before they're released here, this isn't the case with the 360 as it's available here just a few weeks after the US release. It will definitely cost you more to import one as the demand will outstrip supply and import prices will be very high in the run up to xmas. I'd just get one preordered here to be honest unless you have a specific reason to get an import one?

Cheers,
    Andy

3. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    My thinking was I am going to be in the US at the time. $400 equates to approx £220. Quite a saving over the UK price. I am sure the games will be cheaper from the US as well.

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,341
    Don't forget US prices don't include tax! It's variable depending on which state you go to, but say it's 15%, then $460 = £259! Not sure if you can claim this back, as isn't it over the allowance?

Plus games will be region locked presumably, so unless you get it chipped, you'll have to import all your games.

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,727
    Plus there's no guarantee you won't have to pay VAT etc on it when you bring it back to the UK. I really don't think it's worth it to be honest.

Andy

6. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The main reason for getting an USA Xbox360 is that then you can get games for much less and usually much sooner!

7. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Was not thinking of paying the VAT!! Just have it in my hand luguage. Also if I manage to pick it up from Costco then it is likely to be cheaper than the $400 as well.

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    No warranty and lack of compatability with UK games. I am over there in November and was going to pick one up.

Dont think its worthwhile this time. Have pre ordered one from Amazon instead.

9. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,027
    ALL of my consoles are imported, apart from the additional UK PS2.

I've just preorded X360 from my local GAME.

Importing is a simple risk Vs reward thing, and it isn't worth importing IMO, for a few reasons:

- time. Its out over here roughly the same time. This is one of the main reasons for importing

- cost. No real saving if you pay for shipping. Its about the same size as a normal Xbox so thats most of your hand luggage space gone! You won't get it cheaper at costco, as its a new console and so SRPs will be strongly enforced around launch.

- warranty. You going to fly back to the US if it breaks down? Just the shipping would wipe out any savings

- games. MS are very good at getting releases out in Europe close to their US release dates. Yes you might want to import the games too - might be worthwhile savings there over the lifetime of the machine.

- online. MS might be tighter over online this generation - perhaps they'll have DNS checks like their WMVHD - not from a US ISP? Sorry, can't play this game online.

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Do you think the X360 will be a sell-out in all territories in the run-up to xmas?

11. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,727
    I don't think there's any question about that! Well apart from Japan...

12. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think I will have to import a US machine. I doubt the Japanese version will have any where near as much support/software as its US cousin.

Luckily we use the same voltage in Japan as in the US. Straight plug in and play!

Just hope I can get one and not be ripped off! :rolleyes:

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I'm sure that the Japanese 360 will get massive support. MS have signed up stacks of Japanese developers to produce games for the Japanese market. They know that the Japanese market is important to their overall business model and whilst they made no effort to go into it with teh X-Box, they certainly are with the 360. :smashin:

With regard to importing - personally I can't see the point. They are being released at either the same time or soon after each other. An imported one will not be much cheaper than a UK one after VAT & Import duty. You will also have to import region locked games. Not worth it really - just get a UK one.

14. Shin Akuma

Shin Akuma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I will only buy an xbox360 from USA if I cann't get it here after it's launch in UK. this time I think we got a good deal at home. no reason to look else where.

15. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    But if you can't get it here, I doubt there'll be freely available stock in the US!

16. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think stocks looking exceptionally tight for what they are trying to do. I cant see anything but a sell out at the price they are going to market.

17. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Might be worth pre-ordering another one to sell on eBay nearer the time! :devil:

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I'd like to hope that people won't do this as it just reduces the available stock and creates an inflated price marketplace on Ebay. Sadly, people being what they are, i'm sure that quite a few will be buying up stocks of 360's to flog on Ebay for Christmas at silly prices. :nono:

19. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    As you said it’s human nature, it’s all about greed. I can’t take the moral high ground though as if I had the time I’d do the same myself. It’s all business after all!

20. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Tejstar :hiya:

Would you recomend bagging some microsoft shares now in preperation of the 360 release. Sierras shares increased hen Half Life 2 was released as did Bungies when Halo 2 was released. :confused:

Cas :hiya:

Nothing wrong with a bit of enterprise.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    I'm all for enterprise (I own my own business after all) but I don't like to see people trying to rip others off. Parents have enough pressure on them from advertising and peer pressure on their children to get the latest thing and some people take advantage of this. Many parents aren't as up on all this as we are and will probably not realise that their children want a 360 until it's been released. By then it's too late and they face either a disapointed child or the option of paying £500 for one on ebay. To be honest you can't really stop this though and I just hope that there turns out to be plentiful stock so that people trying this get their fingeres burnt and have to end up selling at a loss. I doubt very much that we will see plentiful supplies though.

22. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504

Cas :hiya:

I know where your coming from mate. I bet you wouldnt mind the parents taking out a small mortgage to buy one of these inflated xbox360's. :D

Seroiusly tho, they do have a choice of buying their kids something else and not paying the high prices. Do you really think the 360 will sell out? If I knew this for certian I would purchase 10 or more of them and do the ebay thing. I wouldnt feel bad in doing this at all. If someone wants to pay £500 for a console then so be it. Import consoles are sky high when the product is not availible in the uK. Demand outstrips supply.

As they say in one of my fav comedies 'He who dares win's Rodney' :D

:thumbsup:

23. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I think there's a very chance of it being so, although it's by no means guaranteed. It depends on how quickly MS is ramping up production, however if I had to take a bet I'd say supplies will be very tight until after xmas.

24. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    At this years TGS they should announce at least the japanese price and release date since its so damn close to November.
    (unless theres another show somewhere before then?)

If the Japanese price is decent then I may go for a Japanese machine. Otherwise US.
    The other reason for me to get a US machine is the language factor.
    The machine itslef wouldnt be a problem, but if all the games i get are Japanese eventually theres bound to be a game like an RPG that is just too hard to play in Japanese.

25. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,336

Microsoft is such a HUGE company, i'm not sure what, if any effect on the SP would be when the 360 is released.

Are not the consoles sold at a loss anyway?

Bungie I could understand, as with many other developer/publisher.

I actually own (and have done for a couple of years) a few shares in the UK's biggest Games Publisher (SEG) as a matter of fact. Been my best ever investment :smashin: and could still be a great bet going forward ;)

DYOR and all that :)

26. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Me personally i dont think they will sell out, Like when the first xbox came out everybody was saying " :lesson: you better preorder one cos they are gonna sell out :lesson: " and they didnt cos i went up on the first day and bought one, then later that day my nephew went to a different shop and he bought one also.
    Plus i think some people will wait till xmas hoping the price will come down or get a xmas package.

Although i may preorder this year " just in case " " a tenner's not much " :smashin:

27. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    domtheone :hiya:

Cheers for the info. I will look at SEG :smashin:

Makes sense about MS. I can see your point there.

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    SEG is looking a bit toppy though, there's a lot of concern about the integration risk now that they have acquired Eidos. Might be a good time to sell methinks!