1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing US CRT RP sets?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nathan_silly, Sep 17, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think importing a Toshiba RP from the US is viable?

Looking at the 46" - 46HX83. HDTV, Progressive, DVI, two sets of High def, progressive Component inputs

I'm not bothered about loosing terrestrial TV or PAL.

Cheers

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Shipping is the problem Nath, not the cost of it but rather the likelihood that the set could be damaged in transit. I'd place this in the risky catergory BUT as these sets are shipped around the world anyway they clearly must be able to withstand a few knocks and bumps.

If you do it, I'd recommend getting good insurance and if possible getting the set delivered direct from the manufacturer (this should have the benefit that the set is already boxed for a long journey rather than having had the shipping box/crate stripped off by the shop/dealer.

Having had an RPTV turn up in bits after a journey of only 200 miles due to poor (non-existent!) packaging, its not something I'd recommend but there is no reason why it couldn't be done.

Like I said, good insurance and nerves of steel!

Try AVS themselves (the owners of the US forum) who are well used to international orders and the shipping needs for delicate equipment.

I expect you could end up with a lot of hassle if the set gets damaged in transit but thems the risks and as I said, good insurance will need to cover any return costs if they are needed!

Warranty issues are another factor but I must say that Toshiba UK were tremendously helpful to me when I had problems with an imported DVD player a couple of years back, they just repaired (and upgraded it) as if it were a UK player and didn't bat an eyelid that it had been imported - the conversation went along the lines of "its a Toshiba, its our product, its our job to fix it!" They even had the necessary parts flown in from the US free of charge!

All in all risky but do-able!

You may already be aware of this but there is a good dedicated Toshiba RPTV US forum here;
    http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=UBB21
    (You may have to register to see it, can't recall) They also have a subscription forum for technical help which I haven't subscribed to but it apprently VERY useful. Something to bear in mind if you do purchase a US set.

The other option is to wait for the UK versions to appear - 12 month wait say but pure speculation on my part.
    Paul

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,023
    ....and don't forget the need for an external Mains voltage converter, big enough to supply the TV's power requirements. When costing, bear in mind the addition of UK duty, VAT and the shipper's handling fee for the above.

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    And PAL progressive, very much doubt the set will allow PAL progressive via Component.

I have a heavy duty (1000w) mains convertor, cost about £70 which would do very nicely.

All things considered - I'd wait for UK sets to be released (in fact, thats exactly what I'm doing).
    Paul

5. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have toyed with this idea too. If you come up with a good plan Nathan, post it here before doing anything! I found that it could work out cheaper to import a plasma due to the lighter weight of PDPs.

On a slightly related note, the EU versions of the US TVs have vastly inferior specs, but are the internals really all that different? Do they really have two totally seperate assembly lines or just main one breaking off into two lines with different plastic shells (ie the outer casing)? Im of course wondering if it would be possible to hack in the missing features.

Matt

6. cybamerc

cybamerc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung has a 46" lcd rear projection set which supports 720p, pal/nstc prog, has every connector you'll ever need and looks pretty nice as well.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2F252DE5

Dunno if the picture is any good but otherwhise it's pretty tempting.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I wouldn't even think about it unless you had a very understanding freight insurance company.....I remember how some friends of mine found several of their things in kit form after transfer from the US where they'd been working.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I pretty much knew what the response would be. Ta.

cybamerc- I wouldn't touch LCD Rear Projection with a barge pole.

9. mattsimis

mattsimis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hmm... thats a European model it would appear (although not UK??). How odd, I didnt expect a Euro HDTV this soon.

Anyone got more info on this?

Edit: Samsung.de link: http://av.samsung.de/detail.asp?artid=786

Matt

10. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know of a guy in Canada who supplies FP CRT's ie Barco, Sony & NEC oll over the world and some of these are very fragile.

I have a Barco 808s

He may well prove to be a contact regards shipping or even buying & shipping

If Toshiba will maintain US spec then I might be tempted by an import

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I posted this on the other Toshiba RPTV thread but just saw your post and thought it would be more relevant here. So I'll copy and paste it here:

Not much use to you guys or myself, but I had a demo of a 46" Toshiba Hi-Def RPTV today in Hong Kong. Don't know the exact model number but I guess it must be very similar to the US models mentioned earlier in this thread. The picture quality is gobsmackingly stunning. Probably the best display I've ever seen. It's so good I'm seriously tempted to import one!

I guess we'll have to wait another 18 months or more before the UK catches up.

Note: Hong Kong is PAL region so, unlike the US sets, the terrestial tuner will work in the UK. And the voltage is the same as well.

12. quadmad

quadmad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Godfarther, where would you buy from & what about the language barrier.
    If this is a viable option we could possibly consider a "power buy" situation

13. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've given this a bit more thought. The language isn't a problem as most of the better shops have staff who can speak good English. The problem is how many forum members are actually brave enough to invest over 2k (after shipping costs and import duty) on a RPTV they've never seen? A TV which can't be repaired, at least not by Toshiba UK, in case any thing goes wrong. It's too big a risk for most people, myself included. So I guess I'll have to settle for one of the UK models.

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can also hassle Toshiba regarding Red Push problem. Perhaps if enough complaing about it (and say you won't buy a Toshiba CRT RP unless they explain how to correct it) we might get around this problem.

15. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Just been speaking to an 'ex Toshiba technician, on the RED Push problem.... can you give some more information...

1. Are REDs overly accentuated evenly accross the entire frame?
    2. Do all input paths (Tuner/RGB/S-Vid/Component/Composite) behave similarly.

I think what he is trying to ascertain is if it is indeed true RED Push (He is defining the red push as the purposeful increase in gain on the red channel to give a 'warm' cast to the colour), in which case all input paths will be affected and the effect should be quite uniform accross the screen)..

The problem he fears is that the gains for red/blue are non-linear, and these gain 'curves' are not easily adjusted, since they are non-linear you can't just use RDRV, RCUT etc to address the problem...

However, we reckon it may be possible to get a reasonable result if yout tried white balancing the set using grey scales only, especially looking for the red push at the darker end, and blue push at the light greyscale end...

There are some other 'mods' that can be done on things like the component video inputs, it is possible to add a network that could give a non-linear gain on the red input, but this is not straight forward...

you may already be way passed this, in which case, I apologise...

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) No- the overall picture is not red sheen to it, it's just when there's red that it's too red, and bright red.. If that makes sense.

For example- look at this site. The white is white, there is no slight red tinge to it (say if RDRV/RCUT or the red Screen VR pot was increased), mainly the red font on the page- ie "AV Forums" on the top left, "check message length" and the three at the bottom.

If red push could be corrected via greyscale- that'll be OK. However I don't have a light reader so I'm not going to blindy adjust the six values.

Thanks

2) yes all inputs, although haven't tried RGB scart. Normal TV is affected as well, but reception is quite bad. My brothers Toshiba TV 28" Widescreen also has red push.

17. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, Well nathan my tosh is ISF callibrated ,and still have the red push on the RIGHt side.

I also did turn de rdrv and de rcut down and up again,but still the red push is there,even try ro put the red down with vfocus,but it did not work.
    So i think it is an fault in de tosh rptv`s.

Well if that is the only problem,i can live with that,for the rest the TV is almost perfect.

MVrg,
    Raymen

18. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well Nathan a little update.

i tryed the lens hood,but it didn`t work.

So now i did the inside of my tosh.

I didn`t use the cloth you will use,but i asked around for something that will not reflect light back.

And i glued it inside my tosh,well what do you think.
    i almost lost the red push on the right side,but all the halo is gone.

you know when you push the aspect ratio button for wide,4/3 and superlive.

Then you get a big halo around the middle off the screen,well it is almost completely gone.

This is an tweak that really works.

MVrg,
    Raymen

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one. So I take it you just used the darkest black non-reflective velvet you found?

Sounds like a good tweak to do... and cheap (about £20 at the most)

I'll try and find black Duvatyne. I guess if I have to order it from the US/Europe it shouldn't be too expensive.

20. raymen

raymen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, I wnet to the market and i ask for the best velvet that will not reflect light.

An they give it to me.

It cost around 15 € p/meter.

And i glued it with bison tex(i don`t know if you know that one.

And then leave it open for 2 hours.

For the damp to get out.

Now i only have to clean the lens,and maybe the mirror.
    There where some spots on it,like gleu or something,that was also on the screen.

MVrg,
    Raymen