Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Importing TV

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by annefromuk, Nov 17, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As we dont have HDTV in the UK as was thinking of Importing a HDTV from the US to use with an Import Xbox.

However I think the goverment is against this county getting better technology as not only will I have to pay 17.5% VAT on the TV, but I will have to pay an extra 14% Import Duty (the current rate for colour televisions).

I will end up paying 31.5% more than the Amercians (and that is not including the Postage).

The only way I can think around this is to get a combined Monitor with HDTV tuner and import it as a Computer as this has Zero Import Duty.

Anne

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +471
    2 things come to mind, 1). Isn't it all a bit La La Land (!) for - just -an Xbox's limits, and 2). I may be off-centre here but aren't the voltage dif's UK to US non-get-a-roundable except for ?:p

3. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Xbox has higher limits than the UK's old TV sets are capable off.

The US has a bigger choice of higher standard TV's, but I am upset it is not really a free market if I have to pay 31.5% more than the Americans (and that is before I pay for shipping).

With regards to power, that can be achieved using a Step-down converter which allows USA equipment (110/120V), to work in the UK (220/240V). All I need to make sure off is that I buy the right one for the required VA (so the converter does not overheat)

Anne

4. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    yeah, this brings to mind something i read somewhere about someone testing the x-box, and saying how much better the picture looked on a HDTV.

5. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to make things worse but whilst you're correct about the 14% Duty and 17.5%. You acually pay the 17.5% VAT on the Duty as well so you actually end up paying nearly 34% [33.95%].

Having said that if the bargains are good enough to begin with even a 33.95% hike is worth it... now if I could just convince my employer to send me to Hong Kong again!!!

6. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you manage to get the first TV back from Hong Kong?

34% - I can't believe how the Goverment can justify that.
    I would understand if they did not want the market flooded with cheap goods, thus making people out of work, but as far as I know TV's are made abroad anyway.

Import Duty is a con, it makes me more confused to why there are globalisation protests, when we cant even buy goods from abroad without stupid penalties.

Anne

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,039
    Just to add a few things here.
    Americans pay tax too....State Tax and Federal tax. Different rates depending on state you are in. . is reclaimed by us on leaving the state or country but they have taxes too. I am with you on import duty

My understanding is that not all Xbox games are encoded in HiDef standards. So you wont get them all at higher resolution. Anyone have one on this forum who can check this for us?

You could, of course, just save yourself all the hassle and expense and just buy a Plasma which will do all these resolutions and good old PAL, but I'm not sure if that's overkill or the sort of TV you're talking about. It's going to be acting as a monitor anyway though.

There are more choices of higher quality TV's over there but the expense is likley to make it not very worthwhile I'd have thought. Still let us know how you get on.

Gordon

8. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right on the X-Box Gordon, the games have to be programmed to use the HDTV type displays and not all are.

Same with the GC, Smash Brothers Melee outputs 1080i I believe, but no other games do so far.

9. robocook

robocook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't; I bought my first projector out there and brought it back hand baggage on the plane - just the right size for an overhead locker!

Being all good a proper I went down the Red Channel declared it, paid the Duty +VAT. And went home in a cab still very pleased to have paid 50% of the UK price... As an added bonuses I recently sold the projector, a few years on, and broke even.

BTW: Judging by some of the stuff people try to put on a plane these days I don't see why you don't just wheel on a telly!