1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing the GC or not?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by tommy, May 30, 2002.

1. tommy

tommy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that the GC if finally available in the local stores. :D Are there still some good reasons why to go for an imported version instead?

//Tommy

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would always import but it depends on what you want from the console. If you absolutely must have guarantees of full-screen, full-speed gameplay, then importing is your only option. However, the Pal Cube is cheap, readily available and will enable you to play import games with the use of the Datel Action Replay/Freeloader (released end of June).

It's likely that a similar device will be released to allow you to play Pal games on an import Cube if you so desire. The import Cube also now has RGB functionality, albeit with the use of an expensive cable. ;)

3. haf

haf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Groundy
    As a frequent contributor to this forum & a supporter of import consoles where is the best place to buy the GC taking into account import duties etc, if any ?

I have looked at lik sang,lan kwei, ncsx & troixweb - are any of these import friendly. Any others.

Help appreciated. First venture into importing.

Henry :confused:

4. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've always used Lik-Sang, and never had any problems (that d-cable turned up btw groundy, will send it out asap.), but i got my GBA from NCSX in the first week of release, and they were more than helpful when i lost my CC and had to change my details over the phone.. I'd stick with Lik-Sang tho, they're more reliable than most. Plus if you click here > Lik-Sang < you make me some money. :D :D :D

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Haf:

As Luc says, Lik-Sang are reliable and efficient. They usually have everything in stock and ship within 24 hours. However, you are very likely to get hit for full import duty and VAT with Lik-Sang. They're not very accomodating in marking the value of goods down etc. Even if you specifically request them to do so, they probably won't.

Without a doubt, the best import outlet in my experience is NCSX. They actually go out of their way to mark the value of goods down and will even declare the goods as faulty/repairs with no value. Their customer service is always fast and friendly.

Tronixweb are also a nice bunch and will mark the value of goods down at your request.

When purchasing consoles, out of the 3 mentioned above, I would always go with NCSX first, assuming they have stock. Next, I would probably go with Tronixweb and then Lik-Sang. Where possible, try and avoid using FEDEX as your shipping method. Use EMS or UPS to minimise customs charges in the UK.

Hope this helps. :)

Luc:

PM or email me when your sending the cable. I'm going away next Saturday for a week so assuming you get it to me before Friday, I'll make the RGB Cable and return it to you before I go.
    ;)

6. mr_sockochris

mr_sockochris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Goblindierct.com have modded Jap cubes at a reasonable price. They are UK based so you will not have to worry about shipping fees. Also, because they are UK based you will receive your Cube in 2 days max.