1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing Speakers From USA

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SpiderManPants, Feb 12, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Afternoon All,

Has anyone any experience of importing speakers into the UK from a US supplier?

There is a guy on Ebay.com who says he can ship 4 brand-new M&K S85's and a S85C in white for 1700US$ including shipping.

He also says he can make out the reciept to read a quarter of the price (for VAT reasons) and open the boxes and specify the speakers as ex-dems.

Is there anything I should be aware of or consider, apart from the obvious warranty issues etc.?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

SMP

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I used to import subwoofers, the shipping cost varied between 20 and 45% of the cost of the units depending on the weight. Coupled with import duty, VAT and shippers handling fees it gets very expensive. Only really worthwhile if you're getting them at a good price. Also consider the costs of sending them back for possible warranty work if they develop a fault.

3. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary,

But as I said the 1700US$ includes shipping to my door. My main concern is the VAT and Import Duty, this whole area seams very sketchy to me.

There doesn't seem to be any specific guidelines.
    Is it just a case of customs charging whatever they see fit?

How would it work if the speakers were sent as a 'gift' as opposed to a purchase?

Has anyone any actual experience???

SMP

4. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can't remember the exact figure for duty, think it was 4% on speakers, might have been 8% though.

The shippers handling charge varies but the VAT is the last thing calculated and is based on the cost after adding shipping, handling fees and duty. If you reckon on stumping up another 25% of the cost you wont be far wrong.

5. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It won't.

They fall way way outside the definition of a gift as far as customs are concerned.

A gift, amongst other things. needs to be paid for by a provate individual in the originating country (which these won't be), and be less than £36 in value.

You will be charged customs duty, then VAT on top of the full cost including shipping.

Bear in mind that if customs think that the goods have been misdeclared, either deliberately or accidentally, you'll get a hefty bill.

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    I think import duty is more like 10%, with VAT at 17.5% and that's before you start to think about shipping costs and what happens if, when you take it out of the box, it doesn't work....

7. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,095
    The import duty is around 4.5%, which is added to the general cost. Then you add your shipping costs. Then you add VAT.
    Dont try and have them shipped over as a gift, it wont work!

It also wont work if your supplier shows an invoice massively under stating the true cost. Unfortunately Customs officers weren't born yesterday !!!

Kev

8. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up until recently, in order to offer great prices, I was importing Stewart screens. Unfortunately, Stewart clamped down on any 230v euro sales within the states. This means that no dealer based in the USA was allowed a non USA voltage model. This of course made the use of a transformer a must.
    Sadly, many other manufacturers are going this way.

9. danzvuk

danzvuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has enyone purchased an item ( like speakers ) from german ebay site. What are the import duties , VAT etc for UK.
    Any helop on this would be much appreciated.

thanks! :devil:

10. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,
    In my many dealings abroad I have found that with electrical items the VAT and customs duty will add around 30%.

Items under £180 are not charged.
    Gift items under £360 are not charged.
    (the website claims £18 and £36 respectively, but this seems to be a typing error).

"He also says he can make out the reciept to read a quarter of the price (for VAT reasons)"

I would be very cautious about having very valuable items sent at well below actual value, if they were to get damaged or lost you would only be able to claim the lower value. :(

Paul.

11. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Nope, it's the correct figures. I've been charged on £25 orders before.

12. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sounds like they've already been opened!

13. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If from a US manufacturer, have them specified as shipped back from repair/service. Not legal, but very hard for customs to check up on.

If you purchase something from within the EU, and have receipts to prove it - under EEC law all relevant taxes have been paid so theoretically customs can't touch you for it.

14. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi,

RJW Quote:
    "Nope, it's the correct figures. I've been charged on £25 orders before."

That's funny?
    I've ordered plenty of stuff from abroad and have NEVER been charged unless it's over £180.
    I just had a couple of items delivered the other day from the US and only got charged on the £400 item, the £100 item wasn't affected.

Paul.