1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing Slimp3 to UK

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by deiwise, Mar 9, 2003.

1. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone can tell me whether, if I buy a Slimp3 from slimp3.com in the US, I'll be liable to pay VAT on its import to the UK. The only thing I've ever bought online and shipped to the UK has been a few DVDs and CDs, neither of which sting you on VAT

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Will

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You will be liable for both import duty and VAT. This could amount to as much as 25% on the final purchase price including shipping. Whether or not you will be charged is another matter though.

You might only get caught for duty which is only about 3% to 8%. With a bit of luck you will get away with both as not all packages are stopped/checked. If you have the choice of shipping method, don't use Fedex because you will get charged full whack with them. You might ask the company you're buying from to mark a lower value down on the customs forms but this will be the amount the package is insured for if it gets damaged in the post.

3. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply. I thought that'd be the case - great shame, as it's a mere £177 including shipping over there...

Will

4. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might be worth taking the chance mate. I've ordered quite a few large purchases (over 20) from the US and HK and usually get hit for duty but have only ever got hit once for full VAT as well.

5. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much (in £) were the items you paid for, and how much was the import tax you had to pay? (if you don't mind my asking)

Will

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went through a spell of importing Gamecubes + Games when they were released in Japan. The packs were around £330 - £430 each. I can't remember exactly but they usually came in shipments of 4 or 5 at a time. I do remember being hit for £99 on 5 Gamecubes, 10 games and a few other bits and pieces. Similarly, I was hit for about half that on a shipment of 4 Cubes, 8 games etc. Again, I wasn't complaining.

One Cube + 2 games came in a single shipment with a value of £350. It came by Fedex and I was hit for £76 :eek:. I eventually paid it after about 6 months of ignoring it.

[​IMG]

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my experience, Groundy's been very lucky! Admittedly I have brought in somewhat larger value items..... but ive got stung on every occasion for the full whack..... in fact on each occasion it seemed like full inverstigations were done!

ad

8. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...well, I'm not sure I can be bothered to take the risk. If only someone was risking it themselves by importing them, and selling them on cheap in the UK!

Will

9. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out this post: Audiotron

Read down - there's a guy there importing slimp3's for £172. Don't know if he's gone ahead with the group buy yet or not, but if not, I might be interested too.

edit: link corrected

10. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have PM'd him, but no response as yet

Will

11. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    dewise ... give the man a change ... was only 4 hours or so between xio's post and yours commenting that your PM hadn't been replied to.

Not sure if you already know this ... but if you goto your PM inbox, choose "Message Tracking" on the dropdown list, you can see if messages you've sent have been recieved, and when the person you've sent the message to was last online (unless they have disabled these options).

Vikki

12. deiwise

deiwise
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eh? 4 hours? The message/thread is from 13th of Feb - and the PM I sent was about 4 days ago.

Unless I'm getting a little confused!?

13. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    sorry deiwise ... I thought you were saying you messaged him after Xio had said about the thread just 4 hours earlier.