1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing PSP (without getting hit by tax)+another Q

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by warsh88, Apr 9, 2005.

1. warsh88

warsh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, thinking of importing a Jap PSP, Jap of course beacause its the same Region for UMD movies as the EU. If I import one, will it be exactly the same as an EU PSP when it comes out? I've done a bit of research and the best place looks like www.lik-sang.com or www.play-asia.com, probably the 1st one. Does anyone know if you get taxed on the price by customs by lik-sang? And should I get the value pack, or just get the normal one and a better memory stick? seems that I'd only be missing out on the headphones and the case, which I don't mind, as long as you can use normal headphones with it (can you?) Thanks for the help.

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    I believe you are very likely to get hit with customs charges using either one of those places, you might want to try www.yes-asia.com as they will pay all charges for you or eBay, plenty of good sellers on there with them at decent prices.
    Also, the PSP can use normal earphones.

3. warsh88

warsh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info! Do you know how much the tax would be if I bought it on lik sang?

4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    I am afraid I dont, I know how to work out the customs charges for DVDs but I believe the charges for hardware like a PSP is calculated differently.

5. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    movie tyme psp /us game /spiderman film/headphones/memcard/bag
    all for £160 no import tax posted from uk
    jim

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    How did you manage that? as last Friday they were selling just the PSP Value Pack for £159.99 delievered and £182.99 for the Value Pack and a copy of Wipeout Pure.

7. JIMMY

JIMMY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi your right on price dont know what im thinking off
    still a good price think it was £187 + £3 post
    jim

8. warsh88

warsh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, my mate gave me an example of how much he was charged tax from lik sang and it looks like 20 qiud. All's sorted apart from the compatability issue, does anyone know if a jap psp will be exactly the same as an EU one? Is it true that for multiplayer, the players will need the same region games and for example an EU ans US game will not work together? Thanks

9. Corpsical

Corpsical

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Not sure about the multiplayer/region thingy, but assuming thats not an issue, why would you opt for a Japanese one for the UMD compatability with UK? ... I have a feeling the UMD releases will be very similar to DVD's and so USA ones will probably be cheaper and a bigger range, Japanese DVD's tend to be quite expensive (but have cool cases/gifts/extras) , and we all know that the UK market is pretty much a rip-off when it comes to DVD's & CD's.

PS. Got mine from VG+ had it within 4 days of ordering, great service, 1 dead pixel but the screen is soooo good that it simply is not an issue.

Corpsical

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,372
    The UK might be a rip off but some people may prefer to have a PSP which gives them the option of just going down to their local games retailers, picking up a UMD film and playing it without having to order a R1 UMD film from the US and waiting for it to arrive.

11. warsh88

warsh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, thinking about that made the US one an option. It's probably easier to come by and more similiar to the EU version. But it raises 2 questions: will the UMD movies really take off? I personally think not and is there a good site for ordering quick delivery UMDs from the US without heavy taxes? Thanks

12. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I just bought a US PSP while over in the States.
    The US PSP can only accept R1 UMD movies, but the games are not region coded.

Although any headphones will work, the ones I got in my pack also have a remote for controlling volume and UMD playback.

13. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,122
    It doesn't really matter which version you go for IMO.

a) All games play on all region PSP's
    b) You will be able to pick up cheap region 2 UMD's from places like CD-Wow, just like you can with DVD's.
    c) I can't see it being long until there's a "No-Region Hack" out for it anyway.

14. warsh88

warsh88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a JAP psp value pack for 235 (quid) including ridge racers game and delivery. It's in the UK so theres no import fee (usually about 30 quid, no?). An average price?

15. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Stellavision, did you find that machines were readily available in high street stores? If so, which store did you purchase it from?

Thanks

16. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The PSP's are available everywhere you go in the US. Game stores, electrical stores, toy stores and supermarkets.
    I bought my Value pack from Circuit City, Intec carry case and accessories from Toys 'R Us and a Power brick from Best Buy.