Importing PJ Bulbs

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by FATCAT40S, Jan 17, 2008.

1. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Has anyone got experience of importing bulbs from the US.

For example a bulb for my HS50 is apx £300 over here but in the States
    they are $260 + $40 postage which equates to £150-£160.

Before I bite the bullet Id just like to be aware of any pitfalls

Regards

John

2. scotty78

scotty78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Personally I dont have any experience of importing bulbs but having read through old posts about this before I guess the downfalls would be if the bulb was doa or if you buy it from a local shop id assume if it went after 500 600 hours then possibly they would offer some form of discount on your next bulb, im not sure if bulbs come with any warrenty, I would doubt it, but if they did its likely that purchasing one from another country would lead to warrenty issues. Lastly and more importantly remember that your highly likely to get stung for customs and vat charges so if you factor them in to any savings your making its probably a good bit closer to what you would pay buying a bulb in the uk. Also you do have to wait for weeks to get it delivered and get yr pj fired up :D I really dont anything about it but as no one had yet replied then I thought id give you something to think about, so if someone posts if 5 mins saying import a bulb its no probs then go for it :smashin:

3. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    My advice would be to take the partner for a dirrty weekend in NYC

At least you wont pay duties, and have fun as well :p

Adrian

4. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nice one Sapper,

The other thing I have to ask is if anyone has experience with refurbed bulbs?
    Lamps4u quoted me £125 to refurb my own bulb.

Got to admit the only reason Im looking is I would like to sell on my HS50 with either a new or refurbed bulb.

As a note bulbs are a pain, seems that as projectors rip off Britain applies to bulbs as well when I bought my HS50 the bulbs could be had for £225 now they seem to be over £300.

Anyway I will stop before I go off on a rant...lol

John

5. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    On another note, how is the new JVC HD1??

6. Flip_X

Flip_X
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think the resale value of a HS50, even with a brand new bulb, will be much more than £500.

The good news is that the HD1 bulbs are around £210 over here. The bad news is that you can import one from PriceJapan for around £130.

7. FATCAT40S

FATCAT40S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The HD1....hmmm what can I say....its fantastic.

Its a bit noisier than the HS50 and I have had to rejig the living room to fit it in,before the amp dvd etc where under the stairs on a rack and the PJ was on a shelf on the rear wall. The HD1 would have just fitted on the shelf but only just and I wasnt going to risk it so the amp, dvd and rack are now in the living room with the HD1 on top, but to do this the sofa had to move, there are holes in the wall where the shelf was so she who shall be obeyed decrees that we need to redecorate.....ahhhh.....the joys of PJ ownership.

Next job to to reposition my Q8S surround speakers and also fit my second pair to utilise 7.1.

Got to admit its a stunning PJ, Ive done minimal setting up out of the box, a slight pixel adjust and thats been it, talking of box/ packaging this is the best packaged PJ I have seen, JVC realy do it right.

Anyway Im up to 10hrs hopefully I will get some quality viewing in this weekend.....anyone suggest some good SD material?

John

8. sapper

sapper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I will have to give it a demo but maybe too pricey for me?

Adrian