Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Importing M&K speakers from the US of A

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fred123go, Jan 6, 2004.

1. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all,
    Anyone tried importing M&K speakers from the great US of A, prices are so much cheaper over there.
    Anyone know of any dealers willing to do this?and has anyone done it before?
    cheers
    fred

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +921
    Import duty would raise the price considerably I would guess.

3. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I remember working out the cost of doing this once and I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worthwhile.

Once you consider Import Duty, taxes and shipping, the saving was so small that the convenience of buying from the UK (warranty valid, no overseas shipping costs if something goes wrong etc..) meant that it wasn't worth doing.

4. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish i lived in America, they have it so damn easy!

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    With the exchange rate we have at the moment importing is very tempting.

6. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but if it was wrapped up in wrapping paper couldn't you just say that it was some other bulky non expensive house good. Surely they can't open it up and check?!then vat and import duties would be even less
    fred

7. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

I imported a full set 150, 350 sub and rears, inc 2 rock solid stands.
    The shipping was expensive(and I got a deal on it) and the duty a bit more than I thought, I'll dig out the paperwork and see what it cost.
    UK list approx
    Sub 1700
    LCR 2100
    Surrounds 1100 (?)

Approx £5000, I think I paid $3000 for speakers plus shipping.
    The stands were about $140 each, in Uk there about £300 each.
    They really added to the shipping because they weigh a ton. I felt pretty silly going in to fedex office carrying this really small box(the base), about the size of 10 LP's piled on top of each other , struggling along.

John

8. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

Shipped them from Utah, dropped them off at fedex office friday lunchtime, they were in my front room on monday afternoon !

John

9. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, did you get charged vat and import as well then? They are seriously cheaper in the usa, i am really thinking of making some american friends on avsforum and paying them some money for their inconvenience.
    hmm it is so tempting
    John what did you say were in the boxes btw?
    cheers for the info
    fred

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I assume that the duties will be the same as for SVS Subwoofers so it is 4% of the cost of the speakers plus shipping and there will be Vat at 17.5% on top of that

11. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fred,

given your history, I would avoid doing this. You havent been lucky with your stuff, your AE200 was sent in straight away with a fault whilst your recent dvd player is nothing short of disaster..... would you really be willing to risk importing and losing a fortune as something dies?

ad

12. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

Had to say they were speakers, duty and VAT.
    I thought I'd got away with no duty but 6 weeks later the bill arrived.
    I saw the ad on ebay in USA, it was basically a dealer selling off the set, which he does from time to time. I picked them up in UTAH to save shippiong costs to wherever. The dealer then drove me and speakers to fedex, then dropped me off at airport.

Its the best upgrade I ever did, electronics may change but my speakers never will(never say never)
    I just looked at www.mksound.com and they now do Plasma S150 speakers !
    The deal I got in a nutshell was speaker package with free sub.

Fred I'll trade a speaker demo for a Z2 demo.

John

13. dml

dml

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a M&K Sub locally. Had an annoying hum problem with it after having it for almost a year. Got great support, & a replacement, from the dealer, Sevenoaks in Manchester:smashin:.

Importing MAY be cheaper, but you should consider the potential costs if something is wrong with the gear. How much is your warranty going to be worth if something goes wrong and you have to ship it back for repair?:rolleyes:

Never undervalue peace of mind.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and also remember that gecko (who deal with M&K UK) are particularly stuffy (remember the fuss about eric selling pro gear?) about anything that competes with their business, so i think there is more chance of 8 gorgeous women spontaneously appearing on my desk clad in bikins and needing rubbed down.....

ad

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    I wouldnt bother importing an M&K sub as the voltage will be different - they wont supply a 230v sub in the States.

Re speakers there are definately significant savings to be had by importing - I imported mine - the Warranty is valid worldwide and Gecko will honour it (confirmed by them directly). Anyway how much can go wrong with speakers - never had one that went wrong.

16. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,663
    You don't normally get this done then :confused: :D

If importing M&K stuff from the states is anything like importing Nismo bits from Japan, my advice is to leave it alone. The timelag for sorting anything missing/faulty is so catastrophic, you'll soon be wishing you chose a dealer closer to home.

17. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All i want is a set of three S-150's
    s-150's-2625 dollars
    which is about 1400 quid
    plus shipping tax duty etc about 1700 for a new set of three speakers with worldwide warranty, for that price you could get a new pair here
    Or i could fit these speakers in my three suitcases and declare them at customs and show a receipt for a pair of cheapo ones from a local hifi store..how will they ever know?does anyone know the maximum you are allowed too take bk?then i would get all three for 1400
    cheers
    fred

18. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  19. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    YO

Thats 3 big suitcases, as they're quite deep. Thats excess baggage on 1 case and you'd have to pad them well as they'll be thrown around.
    If you declare then remember Customs arent idiots !
    I'd not bother, but with 3 suitcases they'd probably stop you(if anyones there)
    Forgot to mention the sub is 110v, I couldve got a 240 but then no warrenty !

That guy on ebay has no ratings so be carefull.

John

20. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Fred - sorry to say but your calcs are on the low side. $2625 is equal to about £1475 at a reasonable good conversion rate. Shipping will be at least another £125 (probably more). Then duty and VAT of 21.5% the total ie £1600 * 1.215 = £1,944. So your looking at about £2k all in as the bonded warehouse will charge you an admin fee for using it's VAT deferment account (assuming that your not VAT registered). Still not a bad result though. Also - you may be able to negotiate a discount.

I would not carry them back with you on a flight for the following reasons -

1. More than likely you will get stopped as I dont think you can fit them into a suitcase and even if you manage to do so you are risking them being damaged.
    2. If you pick them up from the dealer he will also charge you sales tax which ranges from between 6-9% in the States.
    3. You are allowed to carry 2 checked in bags with you. Anymore and you incur an excess baggage charge ranging from between $100-$200 per extra bag depending on the airline.
    4. Flight cost - not sure if your a regular visitor there but dont forget about this.

Worst case scenario is that you pay the sales tax, airline ticket cost, excess baggage and then get stopped by customs for their slice of the action !!

21. fred123go

fred123go
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    seen the ones on ebay-unfortunately this america trip is planned for the summer when i actually get some money. Actually my bro is going on a one year uni course there so maybe he could bring back a speaker evertime he comes back ;). He wouldn't say no to £50.
    Rags come on man, do you really think custom agents are going too know an M&K from an eltax?!they hardly looks the dogs and look kinda cheap if i had to say. If i wasn't into homecinema then i wouldn't have a clue!
    If i did submit it to customs how much would they charge?(the buggers)
    cheers
    fred
    p.s been in contact with those peeps selling the M&K's. don't seem like fraudsters as they said it would be fine for me to demo them and pay cash after the demo. She is also v/ knowledeable about hc, shame the reserve is 2 grand tho....

22. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    If you did it would be 21.5% of the purchase price. They also dont use daily spot to convert - I think it's rate at the end of the previous month. Even then I feel that importing is worthwhile.

By the way your brother could bring them back legally without customs or VAT if he was staying there and had used them. Not sure of the rules on this though.

23. oaklandraiders

oaklandraiders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yo

I emailed the dealer I got mine from, he says that M&K are currently not shipping speakers. Nobody knows if they're still in business !
    Has anybody heard anything like this, hard to believe.

John

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    It's true. I have ordered two sets of speakers from there and they are currently delayed - something to do with a new warehouse/factory in California that's gone belly up. Lead times in the States are currently 8-10 wks and growing. You may get lucky if a dealer has stock but highly unlikely.

25. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    Hi Rags
    Are you now keeping your m&ks?
    Cheers Gonzo.

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Yes - more than likely. I demod some other speakers but they were not as good for HC (still havent tried the 700 series). I have gone beserk and ordered a 2 channel amp (A21) and another pair of column surrounds for a full 7.1 set up.

The dealer is well happy at the moment as apart from ordering the extra pair of surround for myself above I have also ordered another set of 850's and column surrounds for my cousin.

27. mrmajestic

mrmajestic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were to buy the speakers etc.. through a VAT registered business would you get any cost savings?

Would you still have to pay the American equivalent of VAT?

28. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    The American equivlaent of VAT is a lot less than our 17.5%.

The law seems a bit strange over there. For example - if you flew to Boston and went to a local dealer to pick them up, you would be charged. However if you order from the Boston dealer and ask him to ship them to you in Rhode Island or the UK (ie out of State) you wont be charged the tax. The same applies to the the locals - ie order from a dealer thats out of your state and get it shipped to you = no tax.

Re UK Vat - if you can justify that they are for your business needs then I suppose you can claim the VAT back.

29. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    They could infact totally dismantal them if they want ,my brother sent some small bongo drums back from holiday and when he got them customs had drilled holes in them,maybe looking for drugs.

30. grafzep

grafzep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A few years ago I imported a souped-up V-max from the west coast (haaaaaang-oooon!) paid the vat then claimed it back as normal through my business. You couldn't do it with a car, but a motorbike could be declared as the company's runner's transport. Course I had to charge vat on it when it came to sell. The transaction even survived a vat inspection (though some other things didn't, spoilsports....)