1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

importing ISCAN

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by garyc, Jul 4, 2005.

1. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

Does anyone know of any difficulties that you might get importing an iscan from outside the uk?

ie. voltage, setup, etc

cheers

gary

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Power-wise you won't:

http://www.dvdo.com/faq/faq_app.html

Check out these Datasheets, they confirm that they are set up for Universal voltage.

I'm not too sure about video formats though. I'd be surprised if they didn't support 50hz standards to some extent, but hopefully someone else can give a better answer for that part.

3. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    cheers Lyris

all looks ok from the web site, I'm guess the power cable is not hard wired allowing you to change plug types

Gary

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    the only issue you are likely to have is support should anything go wrong.

gordon

5. Josh@dvdo

Josh@dvdo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon is exactly right. If you import an iScan product into the UK service MUST be done in the U.S. as OWL, our UK distributor, will not (rightfully so) service an iScan product that they did not import.

The power cord is detachable and easily replaceable with a UK-friendly power cord.

6. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    thanx guys for raising the support issue.

but just out of interest I'm guessing from looking at the dvdo web site its a single generic model that is produced for all countries. So would the uk distributor be to concerned if the unit was put in for servicing(faulty) and being prepaid to pay the cost for the repairs?

no warranty issues! but how reliable are these units anybody had cause to return any?

cheers

Gary

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,573
    garyc

Both DVDO and OWL Video have Service departments - the DVDO products are in my experience no more or less liable to fault than any similar technology but things can and do go wrong at times.

Will OWL service an Imported unit? Best to ask them in advance and get an idea of the costs involved in say swapping out a main board if there was a problem with your unit.

Best regards

Joe

8. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gary

I imported an IScan from the States via Lenexpo-Electronics.com, then had it upgraded to HD+ via JVB Digital in the Netherlands (I couldn't find any companies in the UK to do the upgrade)

Might be worth being slightly conservative on the value estimate when importing though, to avoid any duty issues.

Had no problems whatsoever, and use almost every feature (all optical audio switching). I'm now looking to get the unit ISF'd to get the best out of it.

UV

9. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled maybe someone in the know could answer this, the iscan ultra is it a de-interlacer and scaler or just a de-interlacer. If it is not a scaler is their anything to be gained in picture quality over a dvd player outputting a de-interlaced signal so the only advantage is the video switching and de-interlacing of the other components plugged into it ie ps2 tivo etc?

What is the reason for buying just a de-interlacer when you can buy one box with a scaler built in as well, say a lumagen?

cheers

Gary

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    The Ultra is an older product and is just a de-interlacer. It was designed when there was more demand for quality de-interlacing for use with crt projectors and older fixed pixel devices. You would probably find that the de-interlacing capabilities of the Ultra are still superior to that of most progressive scan DVD players, unless you want to spend a few bob.

Gordon

11. garyc

garyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi gordon,

thanx for your reply, I have a arcam 88+ how would that compare in your opinion, but if it came down to an ultra or a lumagen the ultra is probably not money well spent? although a lumagen is going to be more dosh!

cheers

Gary