Importing from the USA to the UK - fee's involved

What makes you think that? The OP is clearly importing 300 units all in one go. He's then going to resell them here. So it's one big package, being sent by a proper courier, and with all the customs declarations etc.

No-one can actually answer the OP's question as there simply isn't enough information. I would say that the customs declaration fee is just that - an admin fee for doing the customs declaration. The OP will be responsible for paying the duty and VAT.

There are ways of shipping things so all the duty is paid up front - it's called 'DDP' (delivery duty paid) and the sending courier can help with that. I doubt it's been shipped on this basis, instead, it will probably be 'DAP' (delivered at place) which means the recipient is responsible for all fees.
Exactly.
International postage from the US is expensive. Costs £8-10 just to post a Blu-ray to the UK.
Even if OP got some super dirt cheap courier posting for £4 an item, that would be £1,200 to post them individually. Obviously cheaper to send in one package & pay the duty/VAT.

There are ways of shipping things so all the duty is paid up front - it's called 'DDP' (delivery duty paid) and the sending courier can help with that. I doubt it's been shipped on this basis, instead, it will probably be 'DAP' (delivered at place) which means the recipient is responsible for all fees.

What I'm saying is don't pay upfront whether individual or bulk. It's the same shipment whether it's a kids toy or a bulk order.

Customs see a parcel and there's no distinction whether it's commercial or personal. It's obviously the value of the item(s) contained therein that's of interest to HMRC.

I have most success in avoiding fees through regular post from the US and it works for me. This isn't a large parcel, it's just a box with something inside.

Last edited:
A box with a $540 shipping cost label on it...if I was a customs officer, that would certainly pique my interest.

So, if anyone wants to ignore my years of experience in importing high-value and bulk items from the US then please feel free and pay from your pocket for the pleasure.

I play my chances and maintain my previous stance and have provided very succinct and detailed experience in my earlier posts.

A box with a $540 shipping cost label on it...if I was a customs officer, that would certainly pique my interest.

Only you mentioned a shipping label of $540.

I received a large value item from US two weeks ago and not far off this value and sailed straight through Stansted.

For good order please be advised there was no value provided on the shipping label and was from reputable US seller.

You guys have a good time and appreciate that you want to ignore my advice and that's your prerogative. You could save yourself some serious money if you follow the simple rules, though.

Only you mentioned a shipping label of $540.

I shipped a large value item from US two weeks ago and not far off this value and sailed straight through Stansted.

For good order please be advised there was no value provided on the shipping label and was from reputable US seller.
The declaration on the front should show the shipping cost. Even stuff from Amazon shows the shipping cost. It’s part of the declaration.

The declaration on the front should show the shipping cost. Even stuff from Amazon shows the shipping cost. It’s part of the declaration.

Well it didn't and many don't.

What is your point? Take it up with HMRC if it's so important.

I've already made it clear that I'm imparting my vast experience here, but you seem to want to labour the point.

If the shipping cost is $540 the it's likely the order will be on a pallet rather than in a box, possibly even multiple pallets. If the items were small enough to be in even a large box there's no way shipping would be that high.
If it's on pallets it's almost certain that customs are going to treat it as commercial and check it out.

There does seem to be a relaxed attitude from some on duty and vat , it’s a valid and normal price to pay for purchasing goods from abroad

Last year we bought £1k painting from the Art of Disney shop in Disney springs, too big for us take take with us so they shipped it to us. UPS arrive about a week after we get home, knock our door, hand over the painting, not a penny to pay 😲 Think we got lucky.

Last year we bought £1k painting from the Art of Disney shop in Disney springs, too big for us take take with us so they shipped it to us. UPS arrive about a week after we get home, knock our door, hand over the painting, not a penny to pay 😲 Think we got lucky.
My experience too via UPS. I ordered a £2k custom exhaust from Chicago. It arrived via East Midlands and didn't pay a penny. The box was over 6ft long too. It looked like a massive coffin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom