Importing from the US

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by icduvall, Sep 7, 2007.

1. icduvall

icduvall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Anyone know if there will be any compatibility issues with importing from the US?

Looking at getting a Pioneer avic-hd3, which seems to be exatcly the same spec as the avic-z2 sold in the US, but the US version is less than half the price!

Anyone previously imported from the US? and know where i can get hold of UK maps?

Thanks

Ian

2. leshark

leshark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only problem I can forsee is with the tuner. US radio stations only operate on odd frequencies and as such you won't be able to tune to even frequencies. Depends how much you listen to the radio and what your favourite stations are, 98.1 would be ok but you couldn't get 98.2 if that makes sense?

Speaking from experience having bought my sony unit in the us.

3. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Ian, only the FM and maybe the rds . Its easy to sort out. Any car hi-fi shop will give you the mod. Explain what you have and they will give you the product.

4. icduvall

icduvall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys,

any idea where i can get the map data from? ive search for everything i could think of but no joy...

ayub, so i would be able to get the radio sorted so it works just like a uk bought product?

5. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Yes. i can get you a part number in the next few days if you ike. I am currently on baby sitting duties untill misus is out of hospital and will supply info when her roal highness returns :rolleyes:

6. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    re disks they are all the same. I am sure you could simply get the "uk" disk and stick it in there without a problem. I would double check ( i will too) to be sure.

7. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    whopps coul dnot see the edit key for some strange reason?

Anyway did you know the new hdc disks are a little "off" its gps.CNDV-60 DVD I would do some further reading and make sure its what you want before spending your hard earned.

I would push you along the alipne route if you going in car gps.

8. icduvall

icduvall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ayud, can i ask why you would recommend alpine?

my basic requirments are double din unit, with satnav, ipod connectivity and bluetooth....

do you have any recommendations?

9. tjxkeith

tjxkeith
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    From My own experience with pioneer units, not SatNav ones The FM radio frequency spacing is a problem.

The head units carry the same model No's as UK versions only visible difference is UK marked front panel for Dab the US ones marked up for Sat Radio ( think it called XM radio).

Yes the US model works the UK Dab unit fine but you are unable to change the FM frequency spacing. Pioneer say its impossible to do and are of very little help.

So beware of comparing US/UK model No's

10. Ayub

Ayub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +612
    Alpine have always made good quality sat nav. The pionee has reading issues ( google the number)

I have both 2006/2007 disk for pioneer and i alwasy get weird readings ( locations differ from a few feet to 2 streets!) when i test them in cars.