Importing from Mini DV to Computer

jonathanth

Standard Member
Reaction score
Apologies, guys this is probably a really basic question.

I have a Canon MV850i Mini DV and am trying to figure out how to transfer footage from the cassette to a laptop. The instructions that came with the camera do not cover it.

It would be much appreciated if you could let me know what software and cable I need and where I woul find them,

cheers,

Jon

You'll need a firewire cable and a firewire port on your laptop.

If you have Vista or XP just use Windows Movie Maker to import the video to the PC. One hour at highest quality avi gives a file of about 12GB.

Thanks guys. I seem to have got it working now using a firewire cable and windows movie maker. Although the quality of the video is not that great. Its ok, but particularly when viewing with a full screen its quite grainy.

What bit rate etc should I be using - I only want to store the video on my pc or burn to disk later, plus is there a way to improve the quality e.g. better tapes etc

cheers,

Jon

Use the highest bitrate you can - that'll transfer the video at the best possible quality.

The video will be grainy where light levels are low - like under indoor lighting. Also remember that the resolution of the camera is a lot lower than HD televisions and lcd monitors so won't look great when viewed closeup.

I always used Sony tapes in my old PC8 DV camcorder, but that was because I read it was best to stick to one brand because of possible issues with tape lubricants. If you're using good quality Mini DV tapes like Sony, Canon, JVC, Panasonic then I think the quality is as good as it'll get - that's assuming you're using SP mode on the cam and not LP :)

Although the quality of the video is not that great. Its ok, but particularly when viewing with a full screen its quite grainy.

In my experience standard definition video always looks 'grainy' when viewed via PC compared to when viewed on a decent TV.

In my experience standard definition video always looks 'grainy' when viewed via PC compared to when viewed on a decent TV.
True , ( although you could also say TVs can flatter video making them look "better" while PC monitors show them warts and all!)
On the PC It can be media player and display dependent too. Ive often found VLC quite impressive and the latest version has a few more whistles and bells.
and
Some PC display monitors just cant hack it!

:offtopic:PC displays have to be reasonably accurate if they are used to monitor quality during video editing and the latter generation LCDs are quite good
In fact I saw some " state of the art Hi res PC monitors (Sony) during the Video Forum at Earls court earlier this year.. Very mouth watering..:D but way too costly for us mere mortals:rolleyes:

Last edited:
What's VLC ?
I've ordered Sony Vegas 9 Plat. Pro for video editing, but am open to other products as well.

What's VLC ?
I've ordered Sony Vegas 9 Plat. Pro for video editing, but am open to other products as well.
VLC
Media player , streamer.. and free!
Sony Vegas Platinum is fine.
Because it has a small learning curve, use of the trial for familiarity is advised but my experience is that unless there is incompatibility with any file format , the Video editing packages are different in GUI rather better or worse

I used to do usability tests on most of them ( cloggng up the PC..:eek:!) but dont really hae the time now

Ta, will have a look.
I've downloaded the trial but not managed to try it yet, lol.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom