1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing from Japan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by bigsteve, Feb 4, 2003.

1. bigsteve

bigsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After studying the prices of the projectors on pricejapan.com, I am still tempted with the xv-z10000, even though I haven't seen it. I'm sure it is an exceptional projector, but I am concerned about the relevant 'extras' I would get charged. From my understanding, I would be charged 17.5% VAT, bringing the total to approximately £4,600. Are there any other costs such as additional duty?

I have read that if the goods are marked as computer hardware, then there should be no additional charge. Is this correct?:confused:

Has anyone purchased / viewed this projector?
    Any problems?

Thanks,

Steve.

2. sonn

sonn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I am living temporarily in Norway, I will let my PJ get temporary customs clearance, and when traveling back to homecountry, I will get back all the 25% import tax. Having my little HS2 in my rucksack on home journey, I will hardly pay the import tax again :rotfl:

3. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are marked as 'computer display device' which are exempt from duty.
    I ordered mine on Jan 2nd and it arrived on Jan 4th in excellent condition (dbl box packing recommended tho).
    I'm still finishing my theatre but have been very impressed with the smooth images and motion (via s-video!) projected onto a white wall.
    Will be recieving the Prismasonic lens this week, screen next week, then it'll be time for a DVI/HTPC/AVIA cailbrated review.

Haven't got the DHL Vat bill yet and there may also be some sought of administrative charge.

The manual is in Japanese but you can downlload an English version here http://www.sharp-usa.com/files/hom_man_XVZ10000U.pdf

The menu is also in Japanese but can be changed to English via the service menu very easily.

There has been some debate about lumens output between the 'U' and 'J' versions which seems unlikely since they both use the same light engine/bulb. Difference probably due to lumens measuring technique.

CKA.

4. benmc

benmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was going to get my HS10 inported from procejapan and I was worried about the VAT and Duty, I asked pricejapan and they said they would mark the value down as about 25% less, worth asking

regards

Ben

5. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ditto that.
    Mine was marked at half the price I paid;)

CKA