1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing form USA - projectorcenter.com

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr. Flibble, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Hi Mr Flibble

Not had any dealings with projectorcenter but I very nearly ordered a TW100 from www.presentingsolutions.com Seemed very helpful although slow to respond to e-mails.

As to importing, panel projectors are classified as Computer Display Devices and assuming they classify it correctly on the shipping documents you should not get hit for any tax as they are rated at 0%. However, you will be charged for UK VAT (or relevant vat rate for your location) based on the 'declared' value.

If they rate as an Other Projector' btw you could get hit for 14% import tax. You can check out the import duty rates etc at http://www.sloanefox.freeserve.co.uk/importukduty.htm

3. erikkr

erikkr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why importing this one from the US ? price is 2303 euro + transport + import tax ( 0 or 14 % , depending how they are labeling it ) + vat ( how much is that in Ireland ? )
    price in GB 3174 euro ( vat included ) + transport .

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    From where?

5. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Prob not the cheapest (?? I dunno........) but its £2271 here - thats 3221 euros (plus whatever charge for delivery to Ireland).

If you're importing from the States, you won't be liable for Import Duty - Messiah's link is the same stuff that applies to Ireland - codes, rates etc standard across Europe, but you will be liable for VAT (21.5%) on the landed value of the PJ (i.e. including the carriage from USA to Ireland), plus whatever DHL/whoever charge you for customs clearance.

I know it's a bit of a cheek, but why are you going for the LT240, have you seen one already ? - no hidden agenda, I've never seen one in action and am curious if you're buying "blind", or even if you're buying for home cinema use or whatever.

Welcome to the Forums, by the way !!!!

Sean G.

6. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the welcome. Yup, I'm buying 'blind'. I just searched on the web for projectors sutible for home cinema (thats what I'm using it for), and a few places suggested the LT240. Its my first projector - I didn't know a thing about them 4 days ago, am only learning now(there's alot to learn!!)

I'm about to order it right now so dont go telling me its crap for home cinema!:p

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is the rainbow effect i keep reading about. We have an InFocus projector in college and afaik they use the same DLP systemand the picture from it seemed fine to me.

7. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm getting it for $2845 (?2420) including shipping. plus vat brings it to about ?2807, so i think importing from the US is the cheapest option.

8. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know you said..........

but that ain't exactly compatible with..........

I haven't seen the NEC LT240 in action, so I can't offer any opinion on it, but it's specs look like a presentation projector first and foremost. (1600 lumens, XGA)

But it's the rainbow issue which is the weird one - some people are affected by it, others just get eye-strain, and it's effect varies from projector to projector..... I can't let your post go without saying that I wouldn't buy any projector "blind", and I wouldn't buy a DLP projector without seeing the exact model playing dvd for an extended trial. Check Messiah's posts regarding DLP on the forum..... he's seen more projectors than most folk have had hot dinners (and all in the last month or two, and his view is worth considering) .

This post is not intended to poyp - at the end of the day it's your money and your choice.......

All the best,

Sean G.

9. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure it is;) Just dont go saying it won't work with a DVD player or something :)

I may be being a little naive getting it without seeing it first, but I'm not sure where in Dublin I can get to see any projectors in action. There seem to only be a few shops selling, most of which have a limited range - and I dunno it they have them set up for show. (yah, i could ask:)! So I figured Any projector I got would be bought blind.

I first saw the LT240 advertised as sutiable for home cinema at http://focusedtechnology.com/home-theater-projectors.html. And read this review http://www.projectorcentral.com/nec_LT240.htm.

10. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I've a question I forgot to ask: I saw something about filters being needed for projectors sometimes...can someone set me straight as to what their use is?

11. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If you're determined to buy the thing "blind" then that's your lookout - you can see projectors in Dublin - it's up to you to get the dealer to make a suitable environment for viewing, or ask them for a home demo. You should also try the dealers in presentation projectors, given that you're interested in the NEC. Befotre you toddle off, just have a look at this thread (not to mention many others discussing first-time buys) before you go ahead.

As for filters, the search button on the top right hand side of the page is your friend.

If you genuinely are in the market for a Home Cineme projector, I know of an Ireland based Sony HS10 which is for Sale well within the budget you're talking about (it's not mine... I've a Panasonic AE100). You can PM me if you're interested; however, if you're tyre kicking.....well you get the idea.....

Good luck,

Sean G.

12. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Pardon me for butting in, but if you're intending to buy a PJ for >3000 euros after just 5 days of research, buying blind, you are either very sure of yourself or slightly loopy ;-) ;-) ;-)

I was in a similar position - buying blind... but don't hurry your decision. Take your time and have a good read of the forums (AV and AVS) and try and decide which features are the most important to you in your new purchase. PJ's are not clear-cut... you will have to compromise at the end of the day.

My advice: take your time and try and view in person if you can!

13. erikkr

erikkr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably not a bad idee to buy the LT 240 if your are not affected by rainbows . I'm considering that one also as an upgrade from my panny ae100 ; as the only problem that i have with the panny is the contrast , i think the way to go is dlp. I have seen different dlp's without seeing any rainbows but i think they were all more than 2x speed ( Sharp 9000 , Sharp 20mx , Sharp 90, nec ht 1000 ). But i take in consideration the cost for one return to the us for repair and then , if you do the calculations right , us price = uk price ( i live in Belgium).

14. Paul O Hale

Paul O Hale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would put the LT240 in the 'it's alright but there is better' catagory for home cinema.
    HT1000, Sharp 10K, PLV z1, AE300 and others for view in Dundalk! so Ireland's not that badly off!

15. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Call me crazy, but its been ordered!

Now for a sound system!

Thankyou everybody for your input and help.

16. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Uh-oh - for $2800? I was this close -->| |<-- to getting an LT240 from the States and have my brother bring it down with him when he came to visit (but it didn't arrive in time so ended up getting a Sanyo Z1 from NexNix). But anyway, that was going to be $2400 from www.presentingsolutions.com (it's $2500 but I haggled him down :) ) so I think you could've saved a fair bit there... :(

Anyway, Projector Central loved it. Yes, something like the HT1000 will be better, but it's a fair bit more expensive. Getting my bro to bring it in would've meant the total cost was under £1500 - at that price, from what I've read, nothing comes close to touching it, PQ-wise. It's been compared favourably to the Sharp M20X, and I've had a lot of experience with that - the Sharp is very, very good, but the NEC is supposedly better (better contrast and colours). I was willing to buy blind on that alone.

Only major caveat is rainbows. Its slow 2X wheel could cause problems for the RBE-prone, and I was somewhat worried about that. But with filters and a bit of tweaking it's possible to reduce rainbows substantially, and for a PQ that's better than the M20X, I was willing to put up with a bit of rainbowing.

But all that's moot. I'm now a happy owner of a Sanyo Z1, which has blown me away. It's not as good as the M20X - black levels are a fair bit higher, and screendoor is a problem, but the colours are beautiful - quite possibly better than the Sharp - and contrast is easily just as good. The overall image is stunning on my 8.5-foot wide screen. :)

I'd say the screendoor on the Sanyo annoys me about as much as the rainbows on the Sharp, though if I defocus my eyes (!) slightly I don't notice it much at all.

Anyway, I'll shut up now.

Dunc

17. Mr. Flibble

Mr. Flibble

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it was for 2695 plus postage, but yep I coulda saved a bit getting it from presenting solutions. I even looked at their web site but didn't bother filling in ill the form to get a quote. Thats what lazyness gets you!
    The HT1000 is to expensive for me.