'Importing' an American Ipod

eddidaz

My parents are off to America tomorrow and I fancy one of them new iPods.

Would there be any problems bringing one back? They seem to think they will get charged some crazy customs charges when they come back, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't, and even if they did, how would they know it was bought in the states?

What would be my position with regards to waranty, should anything go wrong?

sneeks

No problems with customs if it's in their suitcase. Apple products have a international warranty so you'll be OK.

Mighty Perks

it'll work fine and you can bring back "presents"

BUT....

if its the ipod touch your after.
i believe its not out until the 28th of september.
i hope they are going there for a long holiday.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
:devil:I'm off to Orlando on Saturday \o/ The Florida Mall has an Apple Store. I'll be buying a 160gb classic - I didn't realise they came with the new cover view too.

Sold my couple of month old 80gb video to somebody at work this afternoon for 150, the 160gb new version will cost me 175 ($349):eek:

sneeks

Your workmate has not done very well with that deal, for £9 more they could have had the brand new version :D

sneeks

Naturally you fully informed him of the new prices and spec but he opted to buy your iPod anyway? ;)

eddidaz

I'm going for the 160gig classic too. Will they be freely available at the stores? Are in-store prices any different to those on the website?

Jaunty

Although you can get 10% off by bringing in your old IPOD into an Apple Store for recycling, can't you?

Thanks, did not know that.

trailer

Don't forget to work in sales tax for the final total. This varies from state to state. Florida is 6% I believe.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
trouble with florida is its not a state tax but a county tax. Orange county is 6% but a couple of the counties actually charge 7%:thumbsdow

meltonboy

No problems with customs if it's in their suitcase.

Is this true ? If the worst happens, and you are stopped with a new ipod in a box, there would surely be a risk of a charge IF you are stopped by customs (pretty low chance of that) ??

Maybe the solution is to bin most of the packaging ?

Otherwise, there's no issues. One major advantage, is that you won't have the volume restricted because of european law. As someone has pointed out, dont forget the sales tax.

Just plug it in when you get it and registration is via itunes and it's all international.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
well despite me going to florida next week I've just ordered from the apple online store in the UK :suicide:

The price instore in the Florida Mall will be $349. Using a $ rate of 2.02, add 6% sales tax. Add the 'hidden' 2.5% comission the credit card will add to the rate you end up with a price of approx £198.

At the uk store its £229 delivered. Less a £20 discount code (found on hotukdeals) and 3% cashback via quidco it comes to £206.

I cant be bothered running customs for a £8 saving.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom