1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a US Ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Badgerman, Jan 14, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Badgerman

Badgerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meh, sorry if this topic has been done before.

I'm looking to get an Ipod imported in from the US (A 20GB US Ipod for less than a UK Ipod mini? Ok) and I was wondering whether there would be any compatability issues.

All I'm thinking of now is a plug adapter thingy or something, but is it configured for US electricy stuff and will it explode if I put a US Ipod with a UK charging doohicky?

Also a place where I could import one would be greeted with man love.

Help and you shall have a place in my heart.

If anyone wants to send me a free ipod to avoid all this hassle is welcome to...

muh.

So overall, will it set on fire, will I get taxed by the evil postie trying to steal my hard earned (looking behind the sofa) pennies and is there any other pitfalls?

Ta.

2. Badgerman

Badgerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Muuuuuh?

3. simon100

simon100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have a US iPod. There are no compatability problems with the iPod etc. The only think that you will need to purchase is an adaptor to enable the two pronged charger plug into the mains. Any travel shop will sort you out, or probably Maplin's etc. The US iPod is not volume limited like European ones either, so watch out for your hearing!

Watch out for the tax man. I imported some CD's and got a large bill which cancelled out the savings. It all depends upon what the seller puts on the package.

4. Badgerman

Badgerman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thanks a lot man :)

5. MrWibbleman

MrWibbleman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone imported an IPOD without paying the additional taxation? If so, could you let me know when the item was purchased from?

6. rickyroma

rickyroma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    hey
    i got my iopd off ebay off a seller who marked the item as a gift and at 40 dollar value , I guess you'd need to do that.

As for the plug you dont need to buy any sort of charger , you can use the one that comes with it , its a travel charger so it works in the us and here , you just pull out the 2 prong us pin part and plug in a normal plug , not sure of the name , they go inot vcrs , playstations & hi fis , you're bound to have some lying around the house

hope that helps ya out

7. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    lots of ebay sellers offering to pay the VAT back if you get caught

8. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But isnt the voltage different between UK/US?

9. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  10. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You can buy a little plug thing which converts the 2-prong US power adaptor to a standard UK plug..cost about a fiver, I got mine from everything i-Pod.

On the good side, Apple UK will honour the warranty, even though bought in the US. When mine went down, all I had to quote was the serial number, and Apple get UPS to pick it up in a special little box !