1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a Sharp Z12000 from USA - Power Source 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz (Multi-Voltage)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zamwessell, Jun 26, 2004.

1. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    After seeing a certain online UK based website offering the new Sharp Z12000 at a ridiculously low price i spoke to a dealer about.

He thinks they are importing them from the USA.

After looking into it some more...i have found it on a USA website for a great price.I am tempted to import one.

On the Sharp USA website,it states the voltage is Power Source 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz (Multi-Voltage) .

Would this be ok for the UK ?

Any reasons why i should not import one and get the official UK version? I know i will get stung with import/customs duties etc but it would still save me a fortune.The price i can buy it from the USA is half that of the RRP here.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The voltage requirement is OK but you'll have no warranty having to return it to the US for service etc.

That, customs duty/vat & possible resale value are your only concerns IMO.

:smoke:

3. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks.

Just got to ask myself if it is worth the saving....which is about £3500 - £4000!!

I may even have a holiday ( with the money saved )and bring one back :)

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many here have imported direct from Japan without problems in the past. IIRC the Japanese Z12000 is actually known as the Z11000 & has only Japanese language menus.

£3/4k is quite a saving...

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    That what I would do, bring it back after popping over for a holiday. That would allow you to see the projector in the flesh and check it for any faults before buying. A decent hard well-padded suitcase will be more than sufficient to bring it back safely.

£3000 -£4000 is a lot of dosh and well worth the effort/risk. As Kramer has stated, a good few folks have imported pj's from PriceJapan with little or no problem (and where there was a problem it was quickly resolved). Personally I'd prefer to see the pj in the flesh first but wouldn't worry about a blind import if I had to do it.
    Paul

6. krl25sc

krl25sc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have brought a couple of projectors back from the US recently including a Runco 510 in January and was looking into bringing back a Z12000 last month. I didn't do it in the end and got an Infous 7205 instead from the UK. Here are some suggestions for what it's worth.

First you need to check that the dealers you are looking at in the US on the web are authorised - a few of the cheaper ones are not - I would suggest it is worth paying a couple hundred dollars extra to get it from a reputable authorised dealer such as AV Science (from AVS forum). The price I got from them was around $7600 (excluding tax which would be up to around 8% if shipped within NY state and shipping - probably $100 or so).

Second, I would really advise against putting it is a suitcase coming back (as suggested in an earlier post) - you might not see it on the other side and these bags are really treated very roughly in transit. You would either take it with you on the plane or have it Fedexed back to the UK. If you take it on the plane you are unlikely to pay VAT and import duty (unless you declare it when you get back or are unlucky) - if you Fedex it you will. The problem I found with the Sharp is that it is a seriously large piece of equipment (which to me makes it more desirable!) - not something you'd just put under your arm really - and unless you're travelling Business/First class I'd worry about being let on the plane with it (otherwise it's the hold!).

As regards pricing on this projector - the US price is around £4300 at current exchnge rates (once you add in shipping and any tax) - if you pay import duty and VAT (depending on the declared value of the projector - C&E do use the Internet) - the price moves up to around £5500 and if you have to go to the US to get it add at least £500. I was quoted a price of around £5500 (inc. VAT and delivery) from an authorised UK dealer on the Z12000 - UK stock (checked with Sharp UK) - significantly lower than its RRP (as in the US). Although the Sharp only has a one year warranty in the US and the UK (so not quite so valuable as a 2/3 year one) I questioned whether it was worth risking a US purchase in this case for a few hundred pounds and decided it wasn't.

By the way - my Runco which retails for £6K here I picked up for around £2.2K with ceiling mount - that's a bargain! Hope this helps - interested to hear what you end up doing.

Andrew

7. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Do it, but buy/borrow a small trolly suitcase you can take onboard with you as leaving it in a large suitcase for the suitcase monkeys to lauch into the undercarriage is a big risk! I used a small case last month for a laptop and had no problems at all...... not that it guarentees you immunity of course, but weekend travel is busyier than week days so less custom officails per man too!!

good luck, and even if you do get stopped you still make.

CH

ps. pay cash and ask seller to greatly mark down price and show it on receipt and put exdemo or exdisplay on receipt. Seller will do it for cash, especially in NY. There all as bent as hell in Manhatton!!

8. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thanks Andrew.

I have also been looking at the 7205.How do you rate it compared to the Z12000? What is the fan noise level like? How much did you pay for it?

I would prefer to get a UK Z12000 in an ideal world but the cheapest i have been offered on one is £7000.Any links to dealers would be appreciated.

I am really only wanting to spend around £5000 on a projector but the Z12000 seems so good and i have not seen any reviews/demos on the 7205 yet.

9. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would have said Nexnix or Sight and Sound.
    I'm sure when I was looking at this model earlier in the year before I got my Z200, the RRP was £5500 Inc.
    A suggestion would be to contact Sharp and ask for a dealer who might get one at a good price.

Looking around the websites for you, and many have the Z10000 on offer, so maybe they are trying to clear this stock first before they drop the price on the Z12000.

Best of luck with it all and hope you manage to save some money....

10. MovieAddict

MovieAddict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  11. sea surfer

sea surfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +802
  12. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    There is a guy on ebay who claims to be improting them,etc.
    I don't have a clue how trustworthy this is, it appears he is offering to take the hassle from ordering in Japan.
    Anyway, whatever you decide to do, I hope you get one and show us the pics.

BTW, I understand the Z12000 has just one best buy from What home cinema.

13. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imported a Z9000 from Japan about 3 years ago,saved myself nearly 5k on the price over here.best thing i ever did ...... :thumbsup: do it