1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a PS2 and games...where?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I think I've managed to convince myself that I ought to buy a PS2 for "research" purposes. My local supplier has told me that it's not possible to have UK models chipped to play import games. I find this hard to believe.....

So the question is. Can UK ones be chipped? If so where from?
    Or alternatively does anyone suggest a cheap source for imported units that will play US discs?

Thanks for any and all replies.

Gordon

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    Whoever told you that should be shot.

All PS2 consoles can be chipped (US/Jap or UK)

Get a UK one either prechipped from www.playstationchips.co.uk
    or get one from the high street and then take it along to the Barras as there is a guy there that can chip it for you ( www.thebarras.co.uk )

I got one with RegionX from Playstationchips and it works a treat. Only thing is it can't play import originals. There is talk of new chips appearing (Neo4 and Messiah), but I've yet to see anyone selling them.

3. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Ah doon the Barras !

How pathetic would my Amiga software collection have been without a certain kindly gentleman with a stack of blank floppies some cloning software and a second drive!

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The Neo 4 was being sold before Xmas at a number of online places, alone and prefitted, at a cost.

They seem to have vanished without any explanation from these places now though. The chip does promise a great deal, immediate booting from backups, immediate booting of import originals. In fact the only thing it can't do I've been told is boot DVD backups without a pre-boot with software such as Action Replay.

5. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,498
    Theres news at various places on the net that SONY have taken as much action as possible against people supplying the various chips for the PS2

Although the PS2 can be chipped its now almost impossible to get the chips and get them fitted

6. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    There are still Neo2.2 chips flying around.

Also, there is a new chip (Elvis) that is starting to show it's face..
    It's just a renamed Messiah chip that is meant to be coming soon from some Hong Kong suppliers.

We'll just have to wait and see if they appear.

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    I know why I was told it wasn't possible. The person in question makes his living selling games. Chipped machines can obviously play copied games. By offering this service he would be shooting himslef in the foot and condoning pirating software. On this issue I agree with him. Just not too happy at costs of games..and I only want to get official ones just don't fancy waiting months for UK releases....

I read the on line stories about neo4 and messiah. I guess I'll continue to scout around. Having just watched some screen captures from SSXtricky on our cinema screen in the shop I really, really want to get one soon for my living room... It'll keep me away form here for a while hopefully! hahaha

Thanks guys and keep posting with sources for these things please.

Gordon