1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY from USA to UK - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by freddles, Jun 14, 2005.

1. freddles

freddles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently live in the US but will be returning home to the UK in the next few months. I'm planning on getting a plasma TV and shipping it home (luckily, my company will pay.)

There is what looks to me to be a good deal on Panasonic's 42" TH-42PWD7UY. I've read a very positive review (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/panasonic-th42pwd7uy-review.html) and it's advertised at $1,679. My question is: when I get it home, will I be able to hook up a Skybox and a DVD player and will it just work? From what I can tell from the review, it has the necessary:

"S-video, composite video (BNC), a row of 5 BNC connections for component/RGB, a serial port, a 15 pin VGA, a DB25 tuner"

...but I'm not sure whether the PAL/NTSC issue matters once you're dealing with composite video.

I think I'm going to be OK, but would appreciate it if any of you more experienced people can give me some confidence!

A related question would be: if you were in a similar situation, what would you go for?

Many thanks,

Fred

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    How many dollars to the Pound? and will customs hit you for VAT and duty? That's about the same as a pre vat UK price I think. There are not really any other functional issues, but remember you will have no warranty whatsoever in UK.

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Hmmm.... the $/£ exchange rate may make it look attractive, but plasma screens are very heavy and very fragile, and I doubt whether you'll have much of a bargain by the time you've paid freight, import duty and VAT on it.