Importing a Panasonic TH-42PWD7UY from USA to UK - Will it work?

F

freddles

Hi,

I currently live in the US but will be returning home to the UK in the next few months. I'm planning on getting a plasma TV and shipping it home (luckily, my company will pay.)

There is what looks to me to be a good deal on Panasonic's 42" TH-42PWD7UY. I've read a very positive review (http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/panasonic-th42pwd7uy-review.html) and it's advertised at $1,679. My question is: when I get it home, will I be able to hook up a Skybox and a DVD player and will it just work? From what I can tell from the review, it has the necessary:

"S-video, composite video (BNC), a row of 5 BNC connections for component/RGB, a serial port, a 15 pin VGA, a DB25 tuner"

...but I'm not sure whether the PAL/NTSC issue matters once you're dealing with composite video.

I think I'm going to be OK, but would appreciate it if any of you more experienced people can give me some confidence!

A related question would be: if you were in a similar situation, what would you go for?

Many thanks,

Fred

How many dollars to the Pound? and will customs hit you for VAT and duty? That's about the same as a pre vat UK price I think. There are not really any other functional issues, but remember you will have no warranty whatsoever in UK.

Hmmm.... the $/£ exchange rate may make it look attractive, but plasma screens are very heavy and very fragile, and I doubt whether you'll have much of a bargain by the time you've paid freight, import duty and VAT on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom