1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Importing a DVD recorder from the US

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by kofsw4, Jun 19, 2003.

1. kofsw4

kofsw4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to import an American DVD recorder into the UK? The price difference and extra features in the same models (almost all have progressive scan!!) have got to make it worthwhile.

Possible problems of the top of my head:

Multiregion - should be easy

110V - presumably quite easy/cheap to get a transformer.

NTSC tuner - I'd probably only record from cable/satellite anyway

NTSC recordings - my plasma's not bothered about playing back NTSC

Has anybody done this or know of a company in the States that could help?

Are there any other problems that I haven't thought of?

2. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Possible Problems

1. Will the recorder record from a PAL signal
    2. Will the recorder playback PAL discs
    3. No RGB scart input

Phil

3. kofsw4

kofsw4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good points:

1. No idea - anybody? Can UK recorders record from NTSC sources?

2. Most UK dvd players play NTSC signals so I assume the opposite is true but worth checking.

3. True - I don't think my cable box does s-video or component

4. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    My Philips 890 will record both PAL and NTSC on separate discs, I do not think the US version will.
    Why not record this way and playback through a multiregion dual prog scan machine? I often record TV whilst watching a film, treating the recorder "like" a vcr in the old fashioned sense and using a higher spec player for playback of films.
    Ged

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As far as I am aware UK Recorders tend to record in both NTSC & PAl (I know my Panny does) I also know that the US version of the Panny I have will only record in NTSC.

The question is. Why would you import one from the US anyway with the voltage differences and lack of warranty ?

By the time you have bought a decent heavy duty transformer and take into account there is no warranty - no saving surely ?

You can pickup good recorders for penuts if you shop round on the Net. I only paid £280 for mine multi region delivered and that was months ago.

6. JNLister

JNLister

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Multiregion may be difficult as, with most films getting released on region 1 first, there's little call for multi-region in the US.

Also, watch out for import duties - customs are likely to slap a hefty surcharge (usually the VAT rate of 17.5%) on, plus you'll pay a few quid to the courier firm for an 'import duty arrangement' fee.

7. kofsw4

kofsw4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't know for sure but I heard a lot of people import discs from the far east to the US.

As far as warranties go, aren't most of them international? I'd be pretty ****** if I just bought some new equipment and then had to move.

The VAT and carriage should be insignificant when you can get the same machine over there (but with more features) for the same price in $ as over here in £ ie at 60% of the cost with current exchange rates.

I either import one now or wait (any ideas how long?) until somebody brings out a decent recorder with a HD and progressive out over here....

8. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I am pretty sure that most US recorderS only record in NTSC. This does cause problems for every day use I believe.

Warranties are not international for this sort of thing. No way. Different voltage and standards (NTSC / PAL etc) they keep them region specific.

Yep. Unless the place sending it is bent you will have to Pay Vat (17.5%) + import Duty (About 10% I think) plus customs normally add on an admin charge for things like this (£15 last time I heard).

Decent step down transformer £20 - £30.

Cheaper to buy a UK spec one on the net plus a cheap Prog scan player ?

I think so. Otherwise it will end up with tears trust me. If you know what you are doing you can find some good deals on this stuff on the net.

And the price differences on DVD recorders were not that much to be honest last time I looked.

At the end of the day how many people do you see importing recorders. Hardly anyone.

9. Ged

Ged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I imported a Toshiba SD4700 prog scan player and it works well, but I rarely use it as it is easier to scart all the kit to the RGB AV1, making it erm.. more wife friendly:)
    I would import again or try and find a UK supplier, if only as you can almost guarentee RCE playback, but as mentioned by others I don't think it will be so easy with a recorder as harrisuk has said.