Importing a DVD player

andywiltshire

Has anyone imported a DVD player from america and used a multi region code for it. Thinking about importing one and just after some feedback on how it works.

Thanks

Matt Horne

Hmm not sure why you would want to... US machines on the whole are NTSC only (though they may output PAL 60). If you are buying new then just ensure that it is already multiregion to begin with. I doubt tbh there will be any savings buying from over there.. UK machines are very comptetively priced and so unless you were after a speciifc US make, buy it here or from europe.

Were you looking at a particular machine ?

andywiltshire

i was looking ot buy the samsung hd960. theres been no news that im aware of that it will be released over in the uk anytime soon

Matt Horne

Any reason ? Is it the upscaling to "near HD quality" thats interesting you..? I would look at one of the Denon's over here.. should be more than a match on the samsung... if you do import you will need a stepdown transformer.. and you will have to add duty and VAT to the price of the player + shipping.

Matt

andywiltshire

you make some goood points there thanks.

i just wanted a samsung to match my samsung lcd but which denon do you reccomend because i will probally go down the denon route then

thanks alot

Matt Horne

Well first question is how much do you want to spend ?

The Denon 1920 is just about to be replaced.. so if you find one it may be further discounted.. I believe the new models will be released in spetember.

Also what features do you want ? DVD-A/SACD/Upscaling/Divx playback etc etc ?

Lastly secondhand is always worth a go.. check out the for sale forum further down... a good way to pick up some good kit at a good price :)

andywiltshire

i would say the upscalling i have a huge dvd collection and want the best pic for them

ill eventually go hd when more range comes acvailable though

daveyjay

Bought a Samsung DVD-HD841 about 18 months ago for $99 from Costco.Use it with a transformer I bought from ebay.The multiregioning was no problem,but initially it changed all my Pal discs to NTSC.Then I upgraded the firmware to HD745 then to HD950 with firmware I got from the ZoranDVD Yahoo group.Works really well with my Sharp GA3 TV,and hopefully will keep me going till I get HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom