Imported Onkyo Problem

scwheeler

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought an Onkyo tx-sr604 from the states and stupidly assumed it would work fine in the UK.

I bought a step down transformer for it rated at 1000w, so should be more than enough. But although it switches on a makes a test tone, I've been unable to get any sound from it using optical from PC,sky box,and dvd player. Also when I connect my Sky HD box to the hdmi input and then to my PJ the picture comes out pink!

The only reason for this that I can think of is due the the fact that it doesn't change the 50hz voltage to 60hz, what do you guys think?

At the moment I'm planning to send it back and exchange for a Yamaha rx-v1700 and hope that works - does anyone have any experience with an imported one?

Thanks,

Steve

AFAIK the US electrical system runs on 50hz too but the video output is 60hz.

You have to select the audio input with which to use with each channel so that may be why you're having trouble with the sound.

AFAIK the US electrical system runs on 50hz too but the video output is 60hz.

You have to select the audio input with which to use with each channel so that may be why you're having trouble with the sound.

America is 110v 60hz

http://www.voltagevalet.com/foreign.html

Cycles - 50 Hz vs. 60 Hz

North American 110-120 volt electricity is generated at 60 Hz. (Cycles) Alternating Current. Most foreign 220-240 volt electricity is generated at 50 Hz. (Cycles) Alternating Current. This difference in cycles may cause the motor in your 60 Hz. North American appliance to operate slightly slower when used on 50 Hz. foreign electricity. This cycle difference will also cause analog clocks and timing circuits that use Alternating Current as a timing base to keep incorrect time. Most modern electronic equipment including battery chargers, computers, printers, stereos, tape and CD players, VCR/DVD players, etc. will not be affected by the difference in cycles. IMPORTANT: Voltage converters and heavy duty transformers do not convert cycles.

Wonder if your problem has anything to do with America using NTSC and not a PAL TV system. Does the Amp need a NTSC signal to funtion?

While your models manual makes no mention of PAL, in the manual for Yamaha amps it does and states that there are two different models for each market. One is NTSC for the American market and the other is PAL for the European market, though saying that I thought that you should get some sort of picture even if it was black and white and the speech was out of sinc, so maybe I am barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks for both your replys guys.

Managed to sort out the sound output, it was me being an idiot, however just an update for others benifit if considering this amp for hdmi swithing. At the moment this amp is not compatable with Sky+ hdmi, hence the purple hue to picture - other hdmi devices seem to work fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom