Imported Japanese MDR DS7000 HELP!

devilsbro

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently bought these headphones from audiocubes and they arrived yesterday and worked fine with the US voltage transformer I have(I assumed US and Japanese was the same). Suddenly today I tried turning them on and I couldn't, so I found the other charger that came with them and that worked, but the one I had been using previously had stopped. I am now not using the headphones as I am terrified the other charger will stop working and then I won't be able to use these headphones. What should I do? Would using a japanese transformer (which I have now found are slightly different to the US ones) make it ok to use? Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

If you know what the voltage and current supply of the power supply is, why not buy a U.K one ?

The unit itself probably runs from 12V or something, so it should be possible to find something suitable.

If you ordered from Audiocubes you should have got a Europe -> Japanese (100V) converter included (It's a european 2-pin but you can use a shaving adaptor to put it in a UK 3-pin socket) and this should be fine to use.

As the post above suggests it might be possible to find appropriate 9V / 12V "Wall wart" with a UK plug but sometimes units like these have non standard plug / sockets on the unit itself.

If you know what the voltage and current supply of the power supply is, why not buy a U.K one ?

The unit itself probably runs from 12V or something, so it should be possible to find something suitable.

It says 9v on the power adapter, I just assumed that I would need a japanese one for Japanese electronics, but is it possible to just buy an english one for it, without damaging it?

It says 9v on the power adapter, I just assumed that I would need a japanese one for Japanese electronics, but is it possible to just buy an english one for it, without damaging it?

Yes. As Dr Mike said, though, you need to be aware of the connector type that is used.

Even if it's a standard connector, the centre pin could be live(+) or ground(-).

You also need to make sure you get one big enough. On the adapter, it will say how many mA current it can supply.

You need to get one at least the same or higher and the same voltage.

There are also transformer types, regulated and unregulated and also SMPS, so you need to get that right, also.

It would probably be best to take the one you have into Maplin's or somewhere, so they can get the right thing for you.

I don't think you'll have any problems, though. :)

Are they any good? What do they sound like?

How do they compare to Dolby Headphone?

They sound excellent, I have no complaints at all, the surround is perfect for games(in game mode) and for films(in cinema mode). Unfortunately I have never tried dolby headphones so cannot say the difference, but these are by far the best sony pair I have ever used by quite a margin.

They sound excellent, I have no complaints at all, the surround is perfect for games(in game mode) and for films(in cinema mode). Unfortunately I have never tried dolby headphones so cannot say the difference, but these are by far the best sony pair I have ever used by quite a margin.

Sorry, can I ask what you did in the end ?

I just got a pair of these from Japan and there was no coverter included.

I got them because my gf was getting annoyed at the sound of gunfire from COD4 :D

I used the converter they supplied in the end, not that helpful to you I know, but I also went into maplin and they supply the right plug for £9.99...was in a sale when I went though. Just go into your local electronics store with your japanese power supply and ask what the uk equivalent is.

I am deciding between these and Pioneer SE-DRS3000C. From what I heard pioneer can suffer interference from wifi since it is using 2.4Ghz. So I want to ask if there is any interference with these too. Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom