1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imported Gamecube

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by RiskyLuca, Oct 10, 2002.

1. RiskyLuca

RiskyLuca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Having trudged through the internet, magazines and forums I've decided the Gamecube offers the best solution for me and the kids, of the current crop of 3 consoles. The only problem now though is whether I get a UK PAL or an imported NTSC model?!
    I've gone through the thread back in Feb 02 which was helpful, but given the pace this market moves at and noting recent thread on Lik Sang, I thought I'd better get a bang up-to-date position before taking the plunge!
    From what I've read, I would prefer to go for the imported model.
    1. My Tosh ZD09 tv has component inputs (although currently taken up by DVD) which I'm told gives a superior picture.
    2. My tv can use the 3.58 NTSC signal.
    3. Games are available long before they are released in the UK. (eg Super Monkey Ball 2 currently available from the states.)
    4. By the looks of e-bay you can pickup imported games cheaper than there UK equivalent.
    Given the above, I don't really see any benefit from the UK PAL model? Am I right??
    However, there are a few areas I am unsure of and would appreciate any assistance
    a) Is there a 'component splitter' so to speak, that can take both sets of leads from DVD and GC with a set then leading to the tv? And if so would there be any loss of quality? (I wouldn't exactly wish to get behind my tv to swap leads everytime I wanted to play.)
    b) With regard to sound, is there a seperate digital co-ax or toslink connection? If not, what is there?
    c) Where currently is the best place to pick up an imported GC?
    d) Do the games differ in any way - Content? Sound? Quality?
    e) Which format are best for widescreen tv's (i can't stand those black bars down the sides of the screen on certain current broadcasts.)
    f) Is there a voltage issue - is an adapter required?

I would appreciate any assistance on the above points

Many thanks

RiskyLuca.

2. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an Import GC. The main gains are getting games earlier and having the progressive scan (non-interlaced) mode available for any future tv/plasma/projector purchases.

Cherry picking from your questions:

1. component is probably a touch better than RGB scart, not a great difference though.
    3/4. I use dvdboxoffice, slow if you don't get in right at the start of preorders, but pleasingly cheap. Currently bored with monkey2 and looking forward to metroid.
    4. the ONLY benefit of a PAL console is being able to wander into game and impulse buy stuff. I impulse buy on the net instead...

for component splitting, most people use an AV amp/processor (i have a denon 3801 - 2 component in and 1 out.

no seperate digital sound output (unless you fancy some DIY circuit building) - 2 channel to av amp with prologic2 is your best bet, and it sounds rather nice...

for lack of hassle i would reckoment goblingames in the uk here with nice cheap refurb US ones.

you need a stepdown or a UK GC power supply. again, goblin are handy.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Depending on source and input device, Component can be marginally better than RGB but there really isn't much in it.

It does indeed so you will have no problem with an imported Gamecube.

The main attraction of import gaming.

Choose your seller carefully and you can pick up most new realeases for around £30 to £35.

No benefit in PAL gaming whatsover IMO, unless offcourse you would like to be able to rent PAL games or swap between friends etc.

You can get dedicated Component Splitter's but they tend to be expensive. In actual fact, a standard AV Amp with Audio L/R & Composite Video phono switching can be used. Or a scart control center with Audio LR Composite Video In/Out can be used to the same effect as you will simply be using the phono's for switching ability.

One other solution is to use one of my (see my sig below) high quality RGB cables for import Gamecubes. These allow the import Gamecube to output a full RGB signal with no modification to the machine necessary. They are relatively expensive but the quality is just as good as Component with the added benefit of not needing any additional switching because you can leave your DVD player connected via the TV's Component Inputs.

Probably very little but if any, I doubt you will notice.

No digital sound from Gamecube. It used standard Analogue audio from the Gamecube's Multi Out adapter. This is used in conjunction with the Component Video or High Quality RGB Cable which is plugged in to the DV-Out. This provides Stereo, Pro Logic or Pro-Logic II if you have the necessary amp/receiver.

Last I heard http://www.goblindirect.co.uk were doing refurbed US Cubes with Stepdown and Mario Sunshine for £120!! You won't beat that price anywhere else.

Sometimes in game character's names are changed or racing tracks differ slightly but they are usually the same as their US counterparts. Quality is superior because import consoles run full-screen and 17.5% faster as they are 60hz. Many Pal games are optimised to this speen though sometimes this is not the case.

Many games include Widescreen options but still not enough. If the game does not have a widescreen mode, and you hate the black bars, you can simply use the Zoom or Pan modes on your TV to fill the screen.

A standard 120v/240v Stepdown rated at 50Va or above is required. However, if you buy from a UK importer this will be included and won't be an issue.

Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, just let me know :).

4. RiskyLuca

RiskyLuca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks to you both, Big Jim and Groundy, this is exactly what I needed.
    I'm off to check that site out now. Luckily there's enough trash on the tv tonight to keep the missus happy.
    Once I've sorted the machine out, I may well take you up on your RGB lead Groundy, will contact you direct.

Thanks again guys.

RiskyLuca