1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

imported box

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by siluro, Aug 5, 2002.

1. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi people

i finaly decided i want to give up my ps2 for a xbox and have been looking around at diffrent sites at prices ect and, quite liked what i found on lik-sang. What im really after is prog scan from it and wondered if the jap box is going to give me what i want and would it be the best choice out of the 3 (uk, us, jap), cos for 229 quid i can get the jap box, enigmah and, hi def kit but the thing that im a little worried about is shipping cost (didnt want to register to find out) and what customs is going to slap on it? if any one can help i would be well gratefull

cheers
    lee

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    While lik-sang is a great site for mods and other bits and bobs, its games and consoles will be hit with big shipping and customs charges. Hell the shipping on the Xbox would cost a bomb since its not exactly the lightest thing around. Dunno why you sold your PS2 for the Xbox (why not have both?) but that was your call.

After having a few chats on a different thread I'm now going to buy a UK Xbox, the Messiah chip (11 wires) and the UK Component cables and then burn the video disk off the net. Personally I would just buy it from here but if you must import then you will be looking at a large customs price, without doubt.

For my Gamecube the customs alone was £40 and I would expect it to be a lot higher for the Xbox.

3. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks NeoBlade, i still have my ps2 at the min but my reason for at least considerin dithin it for a box is i have it connected by component and find most games look really hot but now they seem to be getting really jagery so, i hoped the box might be the next step. I was going to give customs a bell today to find out what the damage would be but after you pointed out the weight of the box maybe its not the hottest idea to import it. Does the uk box converted with the disk on a enigmah box output pal prog scan? i got the iso the other day and im hoping its going to work on cdrw! fingers crossed. Have you found anywhere decent to get the cable from yet as the only one i found as yet is new age consoles which do a pelican one for 17 quid or origal m$ for 35.
    Thanks for your help mate cos i really need to look at everything this time before i go juping in as i normally do!

cheers
    lee

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can buy a component cable for your PS2 anyway... But so far I only know of one game that supports prog.scan and thats Tekken 4.

Not sure about PAL prog.scan since Plasmas/projectors/some RPTVs are only capable of displaying it. A UK Xbox modded and used with the video disk will basically turn the PAL Xbox into an NTSC one... With prog.scan enabled (NTSC of course). Also worthy of note... Its probably best to buy import Xbox games to take advantage of prog.scan... Someone said that with UK Xbox games the image was far too dark but with NTSC it was sweet.

£35 is an awful lot of cash for a cable... I've seen some other 3rd party ones for about £20 at PC World, Game and Gamestation. Can't remember the names of them though sorry.

It is best to just gather some more information before taking the plunge, but I'm told that with a UK Xbox modded everything is fine. After all the Xbox is made up of PC components so its not that hard to mod.

5. siluro

siluro
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks again neoblade, the cables i was talking about are the component cables so hence thier stupid price, as im using a plasma thats why im so keen on the progressive thing. I just carnt find any info on how pal titles are displayed but new age consoles in the uk are doing quite a few us titles for 20/25 quid!. Just out of intrest i gave customs a bell who said theres a 1.5% dutie and the 17.5% vat so

xbox (pre chipped with enigmah) 210
    ms component kit 20
    shipping 15

total 245
    duty 1.5% 248.67
    vat 17.5% 292.19

bit pricy but i suppose when you add up what it would cost to do in the uk its not to bad, a bloke i know would do the chip for me for 70 on a uk box but after what he did for me on my first ps2 and then my second i dont trust him as far as i can thow him. Just had a quick at new age agin and they do a us box for 280 with a game but still no chip and exspensive, i might be able make up my mind sooner or later lol

cheers
    lee

6. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol Siluro, I couldn't find any installers for me so I decided to do it myself. I tried out the NE)4.1 on my PS2 first and messed up on the 38th wire (out of 44!) >_< Had to buy a new PS2 and then I used a Messiah chip... 23 wires but all of them were easy and now I have a modded PS2.

Tee Messiah chip for the Xbox is only 11 wires too so I'll be doing the installation myself again once I get the time (and cash) to do so.

As for the cables, I was on about the component ones too, even though they are the 3rd party ones.

I'm sure you can make up your mind soon lol With lik-sang at least they will throw in a step-down converter for you, although it needs to be rated at 200W to be on the safe side.. The Xbox loves its electricity.

If you can find a mate who is competent in soldering then I would suggest a UK Xbox and a Messiah chip. 11 wires on a pre-soldered pad isn't too difficult if you take your time (and of course you have the right equipment). If you want more information on the Messiah chip, go here - http://www.china-messiah.com.

Good luck!