1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important US Court ruling on copy protection.

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Flimber, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
  2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Doesn't it just mean that the devices which do not support content protection can continue to be sold after July but it does not stop the broadcasters from using the technology to protect their content.
    In essence the devices which were to be prevented from sale will eventually become useless anyway.

I did read that some people were stocking up on HD tuner cards which they hoped would then be worth a small fortune when you could only buy the "approved" versions with the copy protection mechanism:)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    i think it gies deeper as certain items are known to diasble the HDCP flag and this means that HDCP is effectively useless :clap: also i had wondered about the whole VHS is legal isnt it tyoe argument seems we owe quite a lot to Sony....wonder if their stance has changed now they are a large Film and Music studio as well as hardware manufacturer????
    Did you see the related threads about poepl not buying CD burners in case they become "useless"