important speaker question for me

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by lisa burrell, Aug 13, 2006.

1. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was thinking about the musical fidelity technical advice for the amp that sitting in its box in the corner. They say if you hunt around for a pair of speakers that are over 92db gain. this unit sounds wonderful. OK
    looked all through latest what hi fi.. Down the speaker column and i could only find one speaker over this and a bloke over the road has never paid the price they want for that speaker for a second hand car. so come on brain boxes whats going on hear then ...

in the manufacture process of a loud speaker ok you have two, side by side
    one is 85db the other is 91db what in the manufacture process determines the speaker efficiency of one against the other. and why is it dearer and i realise im a bit of a thicko but i am learning. Am i right in thinking if they made all speaker say 95 db no one would be able to get there volume control above say 3 on a one to ten clockwise scale without complaints from the neighbours.

2. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hiya again Lisa:hiya: ,
    Dynavoice Challenger M85 from Komplett.co.uk Only about £270. Never heard a dynavoice speaker before, but they're very popular in sweden apparently.

The M85 seems to be their flagship model from what I can tell and are 94db efficiency.

Hope this helps, they may be worth considering though I must stress I have never heard one before.

Dan.

3. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan (thanks for your input its good to talk )
    sorry the most important bit for me is the bit no one seems to answer

Eg two speakers will use ours for example The tannoy mercury is 89

the B&W 302 are 91db OK

what inside the speaker box makes them different in db what component?

4. rhino2k

rhino2k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    had a quick scan of your post, and i think what you are asking is what the DB rating means?

basically the higher the DB rating the easier the speakers are to drive, so 0 on the amp with 95db speakers will be louder than say 88db speakers.

makes the amps job alot easier too :)

HTH :thumbsup:

5. phils_wicked

phils_wicked

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think she wants to understand what it is, that makes speaker "X" more sensitive in db, than speaker "Y".

What has the manufacturer done to achive a higher level of sensitivity, and why arnt more speakers made with a higher sesitivity rating.

I think. (and I have no idea as to the answers lol)

6. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    In addition to the above post, the sensitivity of loudspeakers can be found here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudspeaker
    It is a reasonably complex subject that relies on many factors. However, the most effecient speakers I have seen are those that use a horn to project their sound. Tannoy's Prestige and their other larger dual concentric designs tend to have high sensitivities that you are looking for (the Westminster Royal has 99db as I recal!!). Not cheap mind... JBL and Klipsh also make products in this way, though they do look rather nightclub-ish.

Russell

7. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    a basic explaination i guess would be that different manufacturers use different materials to create the drivers (cones, magnet, poles, coil etc) .......some of the combinations require more power to make those materials move, or do their thing if you like.......therefore the more sensitive speakers can be powered by what essentially look like low power amps to just as loud a volume as a less sensitive speaker can be driven when powered by a very powerful amp..........however if you use a very powerful amp on a very sensitive speaker then you could actually blow it......and using a weak amp on a difficult less sensitive speaker will underpower it and potentially cause problems to either device.....

i would imagine the weight of the driver cone is probably one factor in a speakers sensitivity, but also the weight/size of magnet and i would imagine the crossovers materials come in to it somewhere too...

8. lisa burrell

lisa burrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

you got it that's it gosh i wish i had your simple way of explaining things .:oops: But i am slowly learning reading trying to take it all in.

thanks all you guys .. sounds an interesting subject though

9. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165

I understand that it's part of the trade off between getting low bass from a small speaker enclosure. As the trend in recent years has been towards smaller speakers, then to get low-ish bass (40-50Hz say) there has to be some compromise in terms of the efficiency of the speaker, all other things being equal.

This may not be the whole story, but some of the smaller ProaAc speakers (Tablette etc.) are physically quite small, have reasonably extended bass specifications, and are relatively inefficient.

As ever, I'm quite happy to be proved wrong!!!:)