IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ : Sharp LG26GA6E

fbd

Standard Member
Reaction score
If you are considering purchasing one of these sets DO NOT.

There is an inherent flaw in the panel when using Progressive Scan connected thru Component or HDMI resulting in a loss of signal when the screen if fully white (e.g. flash FX during DVD's)

I bought one in Nov '05. It is now March '06 - I have had engineers round initially to no avail and had my set taken to their workshop over a month ago, where it still sits.

I am £700 down and have no TV set.

I will post specific details of my case as I shall be contacting the Sharp industry ombudsman following a call I will be receiving from a Mr. David Pool, head of Sharpserv technical department tomorrow afternoon after his consultation with Sharp Electronics UK.

DO NOT BUY SHARP

fbd said:
If you are considering purchasing one of these sets DO NOT.

There is an inherent flaw in the panel when using Progressive Scan connected thru Component or HDMI resulting in a loss of signal when the screen if fully white (e.g. flash FX during DVD's)
This is due to an incorrect contrast setting; it is not the television at fault. Virtually any display, be they LCD, CRT, Plasma etc will loose highlight detail if contrast is set too high.

Even when set correctly, the majority of displays will "clip" shadow and highlight detail a little, but not significantly; perhaps 3-5%.

I would personally not recommend Sharp's HD sets, but for an entirely different reason; neither of their HD sets have proper backlight adjustments. The GA6's does not work on all inputs, and the GD7 does not have one at all. I can't say how the P50,55, or 70 compare though.

Hi mate, thanks for your reply but I'm afraid it's a very real physical problem.

It has been re-created in their workshop on my set with their own equipment.
The problem is not to do with contrast or settings but a physical inability for the panel to display a completey white signal in Prog. scan through component input. They have replaced the main board, flashed the firmware, AND replaced what they thought to be a corrupt HDMI chip - all to no effect.

My choice I wa left with today was 1) get the set back and wait for them to find a possible software fix at the production line in Spain 2) wait to see what the tech. from Sharp electronics Uk had to say.

This is in breach of customer rights as far as I'm concerned. I bought a T.V. with a fault, which they cannot fix and will not give me a refund.

Sorry but this has been going on since Nov and I am at the end of my tether

Can't help myself - got a LC37GA4 and CAN recommend that particular set wholeheartedly. It is spectacular in HDTV (D-Theater or PREMIERE-HD or EURO1080) and has a fully adjustable back light. There current sets are made by LOEWE and share their software, which includes on the negativ side an only 3-way-backlight-adjustment and a DNR, that is NOT switchable, both of which are very annoying. Nevertheless - Don't knock SHARP! There panels are the best in the world and they give you a 36month guarantee. I have had many TVs - the SHARP GA4 leaves them all standing with very good build quality and flawless HDTV pictures.
kind regards
Thomas

Problem is specific to LG26GA6E Panel

I have cam footage of the problem occuring which I sent to sharpserv to aid fix if noone believes me.

I AM NOT JUST RANTING! I have had nothing but atrocious customer service from sharpserv and have been banging my head against the wall for months.

Telling me to not knock sharp is not the way to illicit a happy response ***.

I agree that Sharp have some fantastic panels; the GD7 I had has the best response time I've seen. The picture processing does not do the panel justice, however.

The older Sharp displays were the best around, when they were released, but they have been doing some serious cost-cutting lately. The GD7 was laughable in some regards. There are now better displays out there. If you compared your GA4 to the current line-up, I'm almost certain you'd stick with what you've got.

EDIT: To the original poster, have you tried it with contrast at say, 50? It shouldn't have to go so low, but I'd be intersted to see what happens.

Look with the best will in the world please do not turn this into a sharp arse kissing thread - do you not understand that a company has produced, and sold a panel which will not fulfil it's particular customer remit of being able to display high def images and is now refusing to refund me after re-creating the problem independantly in their workshops.

jesus I don't know why I bother

'Edit' it's nothing to do with the contrast! - freeze frame when there is a white screen the signal drops - the screen goes black nothing is displayed to change the contrast on! ITS A PHYSICAL PROBLEM

Its is not up to Sharp to refund you, it is up to the retailer. You have a contract with the retailer not Sharp so you have to deal with them. If the retailler gives no satisfaction, call your Trading Standards office local to you for advice on how to progress. The fact that Sharp can reproduce the problem (and presumably admit that there is a problem) means that you should beable to reject the goods.

cheers Ian,

I bought the TV from empiredirect.co.uk - The catch 22 is they will not refund me until I present them with an RMA number (sp.) which allows them to issue a refund. Sharpserv cannot issue these refund codes - only Sharp electric Uk can give these, they are a separate entity. I have no way of contacting Sharp Uk as they have no customer relations department - they have sharpserv Uk for that.

see my problem?

Utter crap - Empiredirect don't need Sharp to provide an RMA number before they act. Verification by Sharpserv is sufficient for them to act, then they can deal with Sharp over their replacement or credit to the trade value they paid.
The contract is between you and Empiredirect - Sharp nor Sharpserv have any bearing on that - so get written/electronic proof they have verified the problem themselves, and pass it on to ED for immediate refund.
If you paid by credit card or credit finance, contact whichever one and get them to step in on your behalf.

fbd said:
Look with the best will in the world please do not turn this into a sharp arse kissing thread - do you not understand that a company has produced, and sold a panel which will not fulfil it's particular customer remit of being able to display high def images and is now refusing to refund me after re-creating the problem independantly in their workshops.

jesus I don't know why I bother

'Edit' it's nothing to do with the contrast! - freeze frame when there is a white screen the signal drops - the screen goes black nothing is displayed to change the contrast on! ITS A PHYSICAL PROBLEM
My apologies, I was misunderstanding the problem. That is terrible!

Was this recreated with your set, or another GA6?

If it was another, it certainly sounds like it could be a fault with all units, and you should be elligible for a refund if it can't be fixed. (or a replacement if it is just your specific set)

I have not been impressed with Sharp's service at all from my experience with them. I bought my GD7 on the sole basis that it had an "OPC" backlight sensor. Two Richer Sounds salesmen told me it had it, as did Sharp themselves. (both customer support and Sharpserv)

Upon receiving the set, I found that it had no such feature, and after my call being directed to two or three different departments, they finally found out that their own television did not have it, even though the screen has a "window" for the sensor, right next to the IR sensor.

I wish you the best of luck with getting this resolved; I was without my Samsung LCD for four months before EmpireDirect agreed to give me a refund.

I made the mistake of buying the LCD from them after having a similar problem returning a faulty CRT. I will never buy from EmpireDirect again; they have terrible after-sales support.

Thanks for the replies guys, I feel much better now. :smashin:

I'll be on the phone to empiredirect tomorrow morning ;)

I'll find out exact details whether it's just my set or the whole line, but from the garbled explanation I got today it seems the problem is universal, which if it is, is beyond comprehension and needs to be made public.

It's a shame as I have now been put off from buying electrical goods online from this experience :(

thanks andrew for replying again, seems we've had very similar experiences. I'm also glad I didn't fly off the handle like I wanted to at your earlier post, fair play mate ;)

I'll update tomorrow on both empiredirect situation and sharpserv response, thanks again,
fbd.

Does this problem affect the LC32GA6E and LC37GA6E?
Are GD7E sets affected?

If Sharp isn't top dog anymore who is?

stanleyntl said:
Does this problem affect the LC32GA6E and LC37GA6E?
Are GD7E sets affected?

If Sharp isn't top dog anymore who is?
I did not notice this problem with my GD7, but it had numerous other issues that I returned it for. (no backlight adjustment for one, so it looked terrible at night, even with the lights on)

If you're wanting it purely as a television, I have found the Sony V series best so far.

OK Long story short.

empiredirect have offered to replace my set with a different model of my choice - basically store credit.

I have to wait for sharpserv to return the un-repaired set to me, then when I have the set and have made my choice they will 'make the switch'.

empiredirect say there is no chance of refund - their returns poilcy is horrible. I'm sure if I went to a small claims court I would get the refund but I'm sick to the eye teeth of this whole deal as it is.

any advice much apprecited on consumer rights.

BUT if it comes to it, I've been looking at whats on offer in exchange and these are my choices - once again any advice much appreciated ;) (all sets 26" LCD) Budget is £700....

JVC LT-26DS6 26"

LG 26LX2R 26"

Samsung LE26R41B 26"

Philips 26" Widescreen LCD Flat TV 26PF5520D

Any other ideas welcome,
thanks all
fbd

You consumer rights are quite clear. If you discovered and reported the fault within a "reasonable period" after purchase, 28 days for example, then you should be entitled to a full refund. After this the seller is only required to repair or replace the item for an indentical or similarly specced model. The repair, if chosen, has to be performed in a reasonable amount of time and not cause undue invonvenience.

More info. can be found here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/problems_with_goods.htm

Anything you buy that shows a fault within the first six months is deemed to have inherently had that fault since the date of purchase (the onus is on the seller/manufacturer to prove otherwise). In this instance you are entitled to a refund or an exchange, but it's your choice not theirs.

Check out: http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/callist.cgi

All the advice you will ever need.

As an owner of the LC26GA6E, can you tell me is this a fault that Sharp were able to reproduce on other sets or just yours, as I haven't noticed the problem on mine yet.

Cheers

Edited: Didn't notice the Neil's post going on, you can take your pick out of what we have both said and I am sure it will get sorted!

fbd said:
empiredirect say there is no chance of refund - their returns poilcy is horrible. I'm sure if I went to a small claims court I would get the refund but I'm sick to the eye teeth of this whole deal as it is.

any advice much apprecited on consumer rights.

I've only ever had 1 experience with Empiredirect online, and thankfully it was OK, however I've read some horror stories from others about them.

As to refunds, I think that the legislation states that a "reasonable" timeframe applies to demanding a refund. I suspect that seeing as you've had the set since November (even if not all the time!), then the reasonable timeframe has passed.

Although I'm sure pressure to take them to court would change their mind. If you're offered an alternative set at the same/similar price, could be a good option.

I don't suppose they'd throw in some "freebies" as a goodwill gesture, would they?

So, that's EmpireDirect.co.uk struck off my options list for the future then....:mad:

normski205 said:
As an owner of the LC26GA6E, can you tell me is this a fault that Sharp were able to reproduce on other sets or just yours, as I haven't noticed the problem on mine yet.

I'm interested too. If this is an inherent fault, then why should we have to live with it? TBH, I haven't noticed very many movies on this yet, due to other commitments, but I DO generally watch a lot of action films, so if this is gonna happen everytime there's an explosion, I want my money back :mad:

EDIT: Out of the TVs listed, I'd get the JVC or LG.

I watched The Island through HDMI on it last night, and there is the bit at the beginning which flashes a lot of white when he is dreaming and wakes up, but I didn't notice a problem, this I why I query if it is particualar just to one set.

Hi thanks for the quick reply all ;)

I'm about to ring sharpserv to get final details on the problem.

The returns policy/refund issue : - the reason they give for not giving a refund is when I first identified the fault they offered to either replace it then and there or wait for the repair from sharpserv. Unfortunately I went for the repair as I was told originally it was a known fault and an easy fix, and it was near christmas and it wasn't conventient for me to arrange pick-ups etc. Lesson learnt.

I will post tech. details of problem if it is model wide - n.b. the fault ONLY occurs using a Prog.scan DVD player connected thru Component input, everything else is solid. If anyone know how I can post video I have a cam clip showing the prob.

back soon
fbd

fbd said:
Hi thanks for the quick reply all ;)

I'm about to ring sharpserv to get final details on the problem.

The returns policy/refund issue : - the reason they give for not giving a refund is when I first identified the fault they offered to either replace it then and there or wait for the repair from sharpserv. Unfortunately I went for the repair as I was told originally it was a known fault and an easy fix, and it was near christmas and it wasn't conventient for me to arrange pick-ups etc. Lesson learnt.

I will post tech. details of problem if it is model wide - n.b. the fault ONLY occurs using a Prog.scan DVD player connected thru Component input, everything else is solid. If anyone know how I can post video I have a cam clip showing the prob.

back soon
fbd

What movie/clip were you using to replicate the problem? I've got a 360 connected through component, so if this is a problem on all sets, it should show up when playing a video through that.

BTW, there's loads of places you can upload a video, and then provide a link for download:
e.g. http://rapidshare.de/

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom