1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important notice for Sony owners

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by longleyc, Oct 8, 2005.

1. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony CCD advisory notice
    Sony UK has finally issued an advisory notice about a problem with the CCDs used in its digital cameras, camcorders and PDA Clies. Sony supplies CCDs for many other major manufacturers who have already issued announcements about their cameras, but despite the date on this notice, it has only come to light today. The affected Sony cameras were manufactured between October 2002 and March 2004 and will experience problems displaying the image, where it may appear distorted or not at all. Digital cameras affected include the F717, 11 P-series cameras, the U10, U20, U30 and waterproof U60, as well as the five megapixel DSC-V1. Sony will, of course, repair all cameras experiencing this problem free of charge.

Hmmm, thats a lot of cameras. But now ya`ll know.

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I read that on the Sony website last Monday (3rd). My DSCP71 has been sent in for the once over.

3. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think youre splitting hairs but the point is people who dont visit the Sony site now know about it.

4. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Maybe you see it as me splitting hairs. I see it as providing correct information. :)

Well done for letting people know anyway. :smashin:

5. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Konica Minolta has now issued a 'product alert' for several of its cameras that were manufactured between October 2002 and March 2004. The problem is the same one affecting all cameras that use Sony CCDs. A manufacturing error with the CCD affects the live and recorded image causing blurry and unnaturally-colored images. The affected models include the Dimage 7i, 7Hi (pictured), A1, Xi, Xt, X20, S414 and F300. Konica Minolta will repair all models with the defective CCD free of charge.

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ricoh issues service advisory.
    Ricoh has now issued a service advisory notice regarding faulty CCDs used in its cameras, following on from announcements by Konica Minolta, Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Sony, which supplies the CCDs for these manufacturers. The problem is the same, and relates to images not being displayed correctly on the LCD. The cameras affected are the Caplio RR30, 300G, G3/G3 model M/G3 model S/ProG3, G4/G4 wide, 400G wide and RX.

Olympus service advisory.
    Olympus has now announced that the C-5050 Zoom and the C-730 Ultra Zoom are affected by defective CCDs, which have been plaguing several other manufacturers. The press release, from Olympus's Japanese website, says that pictures may have a purple and gray color and that Olympus will repair the cameras affected from 13 October (C-5050 Zoom) and the middle of November (C-730 Ultra Zoom). For information regarding repairs outside of Japan, please contact Olympus support in your country.

7. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyway mrtbag, the information is/was correct, the date was just wrong. Pedantic or what.

8. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nikon service advisory for compacts
    Nikon has announced that three of its compacts are also affected by the CCDs that cause images to appear to have a strong color tint or completely black. Some Coolpix 3100, 5700 and SQ cameras are affected and Nikon will repair these cameras free of charge once it's been confirmed the problem relates to this advisory. To obtain a free repair you will need to fill in a Service Return Form, which provides detailed instructions.