1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Feature Missing.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by laurie, Dec 17, 2001.

1. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cannot see why an av receiver like the Denon 3802 with its osd cannot tell us the power in watts going to each speaker especially with the modern microchips surley it will be possible to monitor the output load at each speaker (ohms) plus the current drawn(amps)and (ac volts) = WATTS! the good old days most good amps had analogue meters on their front panel yes I know it wasnt' perfect but it gave some idea what was being put to the speakers..just my 2 cents worth
    cheers Laurie:p

2. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Laurie, Im trying to remember the things I did in electronics. Was some time ago. This sounds possible.

Resistive laod can be input if you know the impedance of your speakers (4 or 8 ohms). However to monitor current draw accurately you really need to be in line or have an amp meter serially connected between the amp and the speaker.

I reckon this would affect the signal to the speaker and hence the sound you hear.

But I could be wrong.
    Rog

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, surely it's technically possible and different people may have different wishes or requirements, but a Watt-Meter x5 on my AV amp!? No way!
    Just kidding since you specified to see it on the OSD, but not sure if it's really necessary or much asked for ... any feature will increase the cost (not only production but also R&D), but if it brings no real benefit I am not sure if I would want to pay for it.

And no, I did not buy my DSP-A1 because of the 48 (or whatever) DSP modes .... ;)

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Why do you want to know this anyway?

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Yeah, whats the point, DB's is the real issue. But isnt there a way to convert DB's back to watts?
    1 watt in= .90 DB's out or something like that, depending on your speaker sensitivity? I could be wrong.

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    dB can be easily converted into Watt and vice versa (some 'log' function) but this will not be equal to the volume of the speaker you measure with a SPL meter, just representing the power consumption of the (power) amplifier stage.