1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import XBOX. I got one.....

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Gordon @ Convergent AV, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Well I broke down and got an import Xbox yesterday along with two controllers, Dead or Alive3 and Halo. I'm picking up the hi-def av pack today so I had to play with only a stereo and composite video feed last night.

First off the perils of 240volts.... As this is a US device it expects 110v-120v. My supplier gave me a stepdown autotransformer rated at 100watts. Got the Box back to the shop, unpacked it all. Plugged the autotransformer in to the wall and the lead in to back of XBOX. Xbox not switched on though... Quiet buzz from transformer for about 2 minutes while I finish unpacking instructions (who needs them) and controllers.

Tried to switch on Xbox and no power.....opened up transformers fuse and it's BLACK..replaced it with correct fuse. Now I'm paranoid so I thought I'd just check the voltage coming out of the thing before plugging it in to m y new wee green toy... 227volts....oops! It had failed. If I'd plugged it in to the XBOX it'd have been toast! Quick nip down to see XBOX man with my voltmeter. Confirmed new one outputting at 116v. Back to shop, plugged in to XBOX and BINGO....up and running.

Plugged it in stereo in to a TAG AV32r and composite feed direct to a Panasonic D4 plasma. Now you must remember that I am not a games nutter. I owned a Playstation 1 which was bought just before the 2 came out. Only evere played GT, MGsolid and Syphon filter along with my Baseball game. Didn't even play them that much. Before that I had a Sega Game Gear. So my expectations of gaming quality are probably lower than most of the frequent readers and posters on this forum.

Anyway, put on DOA3. Set it up for 16:9 screen chose a character and started to play....Well lets just say that between 4.00pm and 6.30 last night not much work got done at StereoStereo. We beat the crap out of each other trying every character we could, then we had some TAG team games...what a laugh. One of the guys who works with me is a BIG gaming fan. He was thinking of getting a PS2. He couldn't believe how good this was...I suspect he's saving for a UK BOX now. Anyway,, hopeing for not many customers at 4.00pm so we can play bit more in DD with the hi-def output....

More to follow once I get this thing home and on to my projector...hahaha....

Gordon

Put on Halo very briefly. Looks interesting.

2. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Halo is awesome.....but you probably already know that by now. Stick at it as it takes a good few hours to get into but I can honestly say it is one of the most innovative and addictive games ever made.

Importing is always the way to go. PAL gaming is is a poor substitute. If you've got the equipment to play import consoles, you should never ever consider buying UK versions again.

But why oh why is the XBOX so damn big! Compared to my Gamecube, it looks like a vintage BBC micro sitting beside it. But it's the games that matter in the end. If you're looking for cheap XBOX games, check out http://www.tronixweb.com (great service with no import duty) or the old favourite DVDBoxOfiice if you can wait a month or two for delivery.

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    So you finally took the plung then Gordon.
    Nice to here that it's up and running.

I'll try and pop in sometime in the next few weeks to see it going and if it'll change my mind on getting an X-box :)

If I remember, I'll bring in my PS2 and we can have a wee look at that through the Plasma :) or even the projector :D

4. Tony O'dell

Tony O'dell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Be nice to hear how it runs on your projector Gordon, i bet it will look awesome

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to see you finally got your machine. What do you reckon to the picture quality through bog standard composite? I thought it was none too shabby to be honest, still I've got a nice RGB scart lead due in early next week, that'll do me for a while.

Of more interest are the hi-def shenanigans that you'll be getting up to. Any chance of a few piccies of DOA3 running through your PJ?

6. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,331
    I was under the impression that the XBOX was the 1st console which did away with the slowdown and other related problems usually associtaed with PAL/UK consoles !!!!!

My decision over to get an X-BOX changes daily, at the end of the day DOAIII is just a beat-em up and im not at all into driving games, so that leaves HALO ( which I am very interested in ) and rather keen on the Buffy game ( MMMMmmmmm Buffy ). But seeing as MG Solid II is out very soon and so too is FFX then im not sure whether to stick with my PS2 for a couple more months.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I wondered why no one was answering the phone:D

There goes that B and W signature order......;)

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Guys,

I must report that the entire staff of StereoStereo seem to be having transvestite tendencies...well if you judge it by the characters they seem to choose when playing DOA3 they do anyway;)

I though that in composite it was pretty great. I'll do before and after pics tonight maybe once I've got it all plugged in at home. Can't show difference between composite and hi-def though, just composite and component. This is because I don't have the transcoder to go straight to the projector in RGBHV yet. I'll be feeding a RuncoPFP7 scaler just now. The XBOX has been told to just output 480i in component. Looking at the packing it says DOA3 supports 480P. It did look very smooth for a game on the Plasma last night. Love the way you leave footprints in the snow and kick up clouds of snow when you kick etc. The little things in the background make the graphics amazing on this thing. Like the fish scattering underneath you when you throw your oponent on to the deck in the weird aquarium scene's.....This must sound very strange to folk who haven't seen it...

Anyway, busy day, gotta make up cables to get this sucker going!

Gordon

9. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I strongly recommend using at least a 150 watt stepdown for the X-Box. 100 watts is just about okay, but could result in stepdown meltdown with too many added peripherals.

The only games at the moment which use HD are a couple of EA sports games, one which uses 1080i and the other 720p. All games are 480p capable, but not all are anamorphic :(.

10. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Hi Brattle,

Thanks for that. I'm going to get a more hefty autotransformer from one of our suppliers. Just needed something safe to get it going in the meantime.....

I'm havig real trouble finding out which games are HiDef encoded. I've actually written to some US and the UK mags about this. Only thing is I think most of these guys play their games on portable TV's in their offices....not conducive to reviewing picture quality on hi-def capable units like Cube and BOX.

Can you tell me where I can find this info and how you knew about EAsports having some 720P/1080i games?

Having spoken further with my Microsoft XBOX developer friend I can tell those waiting for UK Xbox that the development team have gone to GREAT pains to explain to software developers how to code correctly for PAL. They don't expect any problems with ports from NTSC games like you have with older consoles.

Gordon

11. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,

Confirmed Hi Def games on the X-Box:

Airforce Delta Storm - 480p
    Amped - 480p
    Dark Summit - 480p
    DOA3 - 480p
    Fuzion Frenzy - 480p
    Halo - 480p
    Madden NFL 2002 - 1080i
    Munch - 480p
    MX2002 - 480p
    NASCAR Heat - 480p
    NFL Fever - 480p
    Gotham - 480p
    Shrek - 480p
    Silent Hill 2 - 480p
    Tony Hawk 2x - 720p

I've also heard that PGR can support 1080i and is unlocked by progressing through the game, although this is unconfirmed. The confirmed list came from the official X-Box magazine in the US.

12. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah i tried a light weight one which caused the xbox to keep shutting down - ps anyone know if they will do a mouse for halo

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Metric,

I assume you have difficulty 'looking' with the XBOX controller, hence the query about a mouse. I'm with you on this. I usually use a trackball with my PC and find it more natural, but its taking some getting used to with the controller as it doesn't have that 'pixel perfect' precision that a mouse or trackball has, particularly when sniping at VERY long range. Lets hope a third party see the gap in the market if Microsoft don't.

14. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats exactly it, wolf with a mouse is far more playable, its just a usb interface i hear, so lets hope we get a mouse or a convertor

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, regarding the lack of range of hi-def modes of the UK X box, will this make the uk x box less of an attractive proposition in your opinion to someone with a device that would accept these modes, ie lcd projector or plasma tv. Or by using the component pack from the us box , would you be able to get round these short comings using the onboard capabilites of the viewing equipment, and feeding a component input from a uk machine.

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Little.

If you do a search of the gaming hardware forum for posts by myslef or Museumsteve you'll find a thread where this is discussed .

Gordon

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you order your import X Box from?
    regards
    LittleT2

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon, perhaps i am just being stupid not thinking of this, but regarding the non ouput of a progressive scan image by the uk x box.....if you project the image through a projector such as Sony 11HT, wont the internal DRC hardware/software of the projector de-interlace the image ( for want of a better phrase) , therfore giving you a progressive or high definition image, just the same as what US X Box gives.....perhaps even better as the onboard hardware/software of the aforementioned projector may be able to do a better job than the X box...so as long as you use component cables the uk box will do the job....
    But perhaps i am way off track!!!!
    Best regards
    t