1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import taxes on DVD orders over £17.99

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Fordy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Just got word from a very reliable source that there has been an order from the top at the post office to tax all import orders over £17.99 from all internet retailers.

Looks like we are being stealth taxed. The order most likely came from the government originally.

This is discrimination isnt it? Not just against us, but the internet retailer too, arent they allowed to have a successful business?

This will seriously affect their businesses.

Surely theres a legal angle we can take on this?

anyone got any ideas?

Its not just that region 1 dvds are cheaper, its that more often than not they are better quality in content if not movie.

It is our choice to buy from outside the UK, that is the retailers and the companies producing the dvds fault, not ours.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not a leg to stand on mate! its the law which they have been lax to implement but are cracking down on!
    PS why did you feel the need to post this 3 times in the same forum??????????

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Packages worth over GBP18 arriving in the UK from outside the EEC have always been liable for duty and VAT. It's just that the PO has been a bit lax in collecting what's due, and lucky recipents have escaped paying these taxes.

There is nothing new, no new rule or tax here. If what you say is true, it is just a case of the PO being reminded of what they should have been doing all along.

One reason why imported goods appear to be cheaper, is that there are no taxes (either ours or theirs) paid on them.

Tax is an inevitable ingredient in our society. You just have to live with it.

4. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    sorry dragon, didnt realise i did that?

It took so long to load the page after clicking post thread. I stopped it and did it again. How do i remove the other posts?

5. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah, I know the laws always been there, but if they cant be bothered enforcing it thats their fault. Why change the habit of a lifetime?

When these internet companies start going out of business, it is us who will suffer.

6. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Here's my guess.

Carriers (eg FedEx, UPS, Post Office) are licenced by the government to collect taxes on their behalf. HM C&E are not normally directly involved.

Typically, the 'professional' courier companies are pretty keen when it comes to collecting what's due. After all, if the government removed their licence to collect taxes, their delivery times would be hugely extended and they'd lose custom. So, clearly, it is in their commercial interest to do the job right.

Now we come to the Post Office. Recently privatised, formerly state run. Still staffed largely by the same people. No previous risk of losing any commercial advantage as they were a monopoly. So no motivation to take huge amounts of care. Now, privatised, and in a competitive marketplace. The same commercial pressures, and the risk of losing their licence starts to bite.

So the bosses order a clampdown. Quite understandable, really.

The truth of it is:

Anyone who has previously avoided paying taxes can count themselves lucky. Simple as that.

7. brifobwad

brifobwad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The PO has NOT been privatised...yet. It has been given a degree of commercial freedom by the Government. The only shareholder of the PO in its present form is the Government. The regulator OfComm is yet another way of indirect Government interference in business. It is probably the regulator that has bashed the bosses in PO who are, in turn, screwing customer's wallet. The £4 admin fee doesn't go to the posties' benevolent fund as some have posted in other threads. The heirachy in the PO aren't benevolent, malevolent more like!

8. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    is there an admin fee if another parcel carrier handles the shipping, ie DHL, UPS etc? if so we could ask play and others to consider using them and take the PO out of the loop entirely.

They'll be cutting their own throats by strictly enforcing the taxation. Hardly anyone sends letters anymore (its mostly emails in business comms), most of the POs business comes from the internet retailers they are targetting. If they suddenly stopped using them, we'd still pay the tax but not the POs ridiculous admin fee

9. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They all charge admin fees. They do vary in amount though. The PO are cheaper than ParcelFarce.

For info: On a package which was due GBP24.09 in taxes, FedEx added a fee of GBP4.50.

10. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    no-one sends letters anymore?? what planet are you living on - small businesses and very large ones send masses of mailed correspondence every day.

As for "stealth taxes" - please - spare us this tired and lazy cliche - its the law - if your parcel doesnt get caught - then good for you - but please dont whine about it if it does.

11. Rochdale

Rochdale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't really have a problem with this if I get hit by it, I factor it into the price if it's something I can't get from within the UK.

It wouldn't be nearly so bad if the couriers didn't slap a massive admin fee on top.

If I want a box set that costs more than £18 I'll usually buy it from my local DVD importer at a slightly higher cost or if he doesn't have it then order it from somewhere like Enterprises DVD thats in the UK already.

12. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ok pal for starters I'm not whining and I dont appreciate your tone.

I haven't been in the situation where I have had to pay this extra tax/fine. I was just bringing this to everyones attention.

I presume you havent paid the extra tax either

Also working in the marketing department of a very large, very old company, I am well aware of how much mail we send out. I am also well aware how much mail we used to send and how it has been replaced with email. iIt's about saving money, sending a 250,000 e-mail shot costs about one thousandth a conventional mail shot will (dont quiz my accuracy here I'm just picking random figure to flesh out my point, you get the idea).:blush:

I'm just saying Royal Mail shouldn't really bite the hand that feeds it.

And as for "stealth taxes", if you can pick another phrase that does the same job, please tell us and we will use that one instead!

13. CWB

CWB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The phrase "stealth taxes" has been coined to describe what this government has been doing to avoid putting up the income tax rate.

This is clearly not a stealth tax because nothing has changed. You have been liable to pay duty + VAT on all imports worth over £18 CIF for many years.

If we have got away with it a lot just shows how poor the Customs & Excise have been, aided and abetted by postman Pat.

Have you never thought that the Royal Mail needs to maximise its revenue opportunities these days, if you think that letter sending has fallen off, in order to survive.

I don't believe for one moment that businesses send fewer letters, BTW. More emails, yes. Fewer letters, no.

14. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As I said in another thread on this matter, I don't have a problem with paying duty on imports, I'd rather not but hey its law, what I do hate is having to pay a premium to the RM etc to pay it on my behalf with no other choice.

When I imported my car I was sent a bill direct from customs and paid it. Why can this not work for smaller items, surely they could set up some sort of online payment facility. The fact that we're importing using internet based companies means we're comfortable paying online.

15. LV426

LV426

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The duty and VAT payable are no more an 'extra tax' or 'fine' than that which is included (hidden) in the price you would pay for stuff bought normally in the UK.

The admin fee, whilst more questionable, is nevertheless understandable. No organisation performs additional tasks for free. In the case in point, the carrier effectively identifies the package, calculates the amount properly due, pre-pays this to HM C&E and then collects it from you. A totally manual task. Understandable, then, that they charge you for it.

The Royal Mail isn't 'fining' you nor biting off the hand that feeds it. It is simply performing its legal obligations (which are not new) and adding a fee for providing you with this service.

The term 'stealth tax' has been used to mean, new taxes introduced in such a way as to increase revenue whilst not affecting the headline rates.

This isn't a new tax. VAT and Duty have been properly due for 'ever'. The VAT and duty rates haven't changed since........oh I can't remember.

Once again, all that has seemingly happened here is that the management of the PO have reminded their people to do, properly, what they should have been doing all along.

16. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i'm never posting on these forums again...

PS weirdfish I totally agree with you, that is the first constructive and sensible reply to this thread, I hope there will be others.