Import Tax!!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Michael_Hunt, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Michael_Hunt

Michael_Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Been thinking about ordering Stargate SG-1 season 2 from play but how much import tax would i have to pay, the price is £37.99.
    Or is there a UK based company I could get it from already looked at Cd Wow they havent got box sets.

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Isn't that illegal? otherwise why cant you buy R1's on the high street?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    Yes, but, if I understand it correctly, it is a civil, rather than criminal, offence. That means the somebody has to prosecute you; the police won't do it themselves. Somebody is usually the local authority. And their resources, willingness to investigate, confiscate, etc., varies from area to area. So, if you set yourself up in an area that turns a blind eye, you will happily get away with selling uncertified material. Which then leaves the issue of copyright and exclusive distribution rights. Again, civil, and in this case it is more likely to be the UK distributors and/or FACT that may get involved.

You can by R1 on the High St in some towns although they are usually much more expensive than e-retailers and mail order. I guess they have to add a margin to cover occasional raids and confiscations.

To answer the tax question:

Play are outside the EEC for tax purposes. The Brussels address on their packaging is a red herring; this is simply a returns address for undelivered mail and has no effect on the tax position.

You are liable for import duty and VAT on the invoice value of the package - reckon on about 23% - plus a handling fee levied by the carrier. Values under £18 are exempt. However, not all liable packages actually get charged. They are the lucky ones. If they do get charged, you have only two choices - pay, or forfeit your goods.

5. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you want to ruin it for everyone? :eek:

They mass ship from the US to here and then post from here to your address. I think Play do a similar thing with their R1's.

See Malcy's first post in this thread, particular his reference to "offshore" items: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41501

Even Amazon.com ship your DVDs from within Europe. Problem is, Amazon are too famous so you usually end up paying customs charges.

6. Michael_Hunt

Michael_Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I rang Play once to query where a R1 disc was and they said there R1 were now coming direct from the States. Thats why some are not recorded delivery, postage would be to much.
    Saying that I have only had a couple of R1 that were not recorded delivery.

7. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've yet to receive a R1 from them that didn't ship from Europe, but I don't use them much for R1.

However, they have recently put warnings on the R1s that are over £18 on the web site (when you add to basket it warns you about customs). Not sure whether this is a front (like with FutureEnt who say that all DVDs are shipped from N America on their website) or whether they do actually ship from N America.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,996
    And how do you know this exactly? As I said above, the address on the label, in Belgium, is an undelivered returns address. I don't believe there is any indication of the origin of the package on the package.

9. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the time they post to the time the parcel arrives is 2 days. I've never had N American parcels arriving in 2 days.

Also, from what I recall, the customs sticker on the front is a European one. If it shipped from N America it would have a N American customs sticker.