1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import tax, have you been done?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by ShinObiWAN, Jun 27, 2004.

1. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How many of you get stung for import tax from places like cdwow etc.

Do you normally only limit your order to a single title to keep under the £20 limit.

And how much did you get stung by?

2. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to just order 1 title per order from DVDSoon under £18 (so cheap by the way)

But i have pre ordered the Star Wars Box Set from DVD Soon Which is about £20 so hopefully i wont get stung and its an absolute steal but even if i do then its still cheap enough

Just add i have never been caught at customs by any Foreign DVD site although i have not ordered anything over £18 since customs clamped down on imports, before the clampdown i ordered many box sets like Alien Quad and Indiana Jones all over £20 never got caught

3. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got stung the other day :thumbsdow . I orderd a box set from play usa and when it arrived it came with a bill from the Royal Mail for an extra £12.64,
    of which £8.64 was import vat and £4.00 post office fee :confused: . It's the first time i have been charged this so i suppose i have been lucky until now......

Daran.

4. vizslaraner

vizslaraner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My recollection of ordering from CD-WOW (admittedly some while ago) was that everything came individually packaged, thus avoiding duty. Has the delivery policy altered?

As for other items, I'm aware of the likelihood of having to pay duty so I always include it my estimation of total cost. If I'm fortunate enough to get away with it I've saved myself a few bob; if I'm not, well I expected to pay so I haven’t really lost out.

5. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't get "caught out" at CD-WOW now. They stil have th ewarnings; possibly intended for overseas customers.

If you live in the mainland UK, your orders over £18 come via "Douglas 722", which I think is Scotland. So, they post from Hong Kong to Scotland, incur and pay any charges on your behalf then forward the package to you.

I have had 24 Season One (£30), Sex & The City Season Six Part One (£20) and The Simpsons Season Two (£18.50) all arrive without charges in the last fortnight. I have just ordered The Simpsons Season Three at £20.50, I am that confident I will avoid charges.

6. TheDot

TheDot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    valhalla, how long did it take for your boxsets to be delivered after dispatch, ive heard now they are doing it like this-it takes a lot longer!

?

7. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, not really.

Yes, they do take longer than normal packages but this is the timescale:

Day One - Order Box Set, and a cheap disc.

Day Two - nothing.

Day Three - Dispatch emails.

Day Four - Cheap disc arrives.

Day Five/Six - Box Set arrives with no customs.

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,471
    never been caught on import tax for dvd's. Most expensive were R1 James Bond boxsets.

9. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've ordered the Star Wars box from DVD Soon, but if customs add £12, that's going to make it about £33. I may well cancel that, and order it from CD Wow, if that's definitely the position now.

Ahh, hang on, is this 'via Scotland' thing just Region 2's?

10. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I orderded the Monster Legacy Box Set from DVD Soon, which was priced at $90can on their site when I orderded it. When it arrived via UPS, the paperwork had been opened, but the invoice was only for $12can...which means, in laymans terms, I think DVD Soon go out of their way to stop you getting charged customs...

11. AlanL

AlanL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't been caught for over a year now. I no longer order anything over £18 from Play USA. I had a superb few months ordering loads of box sets from DVD Pacific before they were clamped down on. I'm now onto DVD Soon, who are keeping the dream alive by pricing things like Cheers 3, Frasier 3 and South Park 4 at well below £18. I haven't found any lower prices than theirs, and although they are a bit slow shipping at the moment, it is worth the wait to save that much. I expect to get caught on Dick Van Dyke Series 5, which I've just ordered from Soon, but even with the customs it will still work out the cheapest that I have paid for any of the five sets.

12. valhalla

valhalla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

No, my 24 Season One was R1, as is the SATC Season 6 Part 1 and The Simpsons Season 2.

So they're all R1, haven't tried with an R2 yet.

Hope this helps.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thanks Valhalla. :thumbsup:

14. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i bought Cutthroat Island DTS from Japan i ended up paying just £4.80ish in taxes but the post office hit me for £18 ( left a sour taste but i paid it ) total cost of that one DVD ended up being around £55, i later found out i could have bought it from a different site for £36 including shipping costs and taxes, pays to shop around :)

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Funnily enough, the only time I have been snagged by customs, was from buying two CDs from CD Japan. Unfortunately, although they were separate orders, they shipped them together, reducing the shipping costs, but costing more in the end after the customs charges, which I think was about £7 in total.

£18 seems like robbery, Foxy, what are the post office's grounds for charging that amount, for one DVD?

16. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I e-mailed CD Wow to ask them about customs charges for the Star Wars box set, and, at 10pm on a Sunday evening I got this reply:

Hi Simon

Thanks for contacting us.

The reason this charge may apply is because the items exceed the personal
    import allowance of £18.00 per item, as per UK Customs and Excise Import
    regulations.

Unfortunately, these additional costs are beyond our control and you will
    need to pay the duty if you are charged and wish to receive the item.

We do apologise for the inconvenience caused in this situation, and hope
    that this will not deter you from using our service in the future.

Kind Regards

Ongelle
    Cd-wow.com

Not quite the reply I was hoping for, but unbelievable customer service - do these guys never sleep? :thumbsup: