import sharp 9000dlp

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by paulsa, Dec 20, 2001.

1. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone forsee any problems with importing the new sharp 9000 dlp direct from Japan .....they seemingly run a modified version of ntsc. would there be an input or power supply problem ?

2. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't someone mention they imported this from Germany for £6000 when it retails here for £10000 :?

Germany have the same standards as us I believe?, who knows.

James

3. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea thats correct, but i have found it on a Japanese site for £3450:eek: the best uk price i got was £8500.so it looks like a trip to Tokyo for me;)

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    depends how you intend to use it.
    I recall some issue with the abilities of the NTSC native machines ( ie japan and usa) to correctly deinterlace and scale PAL interlaced video. The euro models have a newer firmware revision which rectifies this so I've heard and read. However if you intend to use the unit in conjunction with an HTPC or external scaler/deinterlacer combo and feed it some flavour of RGB ( apart from interlaced of course) it shouldn't be much of an issue.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah there is a problem with the Japanese/USA model (Z9000U) as it has serious issues with PAL that are fixed in the European (Z9000E). Also the Z9000E has better support for HTPCs, there are some issues with perfect pixel resolutions with the U model.

If you only use NTSC then get a U model.

I also thought at one time of flying out to Japan to get one until I bought one for the reasonable cost of £6000 from Germany. I use PAL a lot. I'm also not sure of the warranty for a Japanese machine.

6. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been reading this forum for some time now and found it very interesting and informative. you all seem a frendly bunch, so thought it about time I joined and added my comments.
    I 've today purchased Sharp's XV-Z9000E for 5,800 pounds here in the UK which is a good deal cheaper than the figures I'm seeing on this forum.
    I've taken a bit of gamble really as I have not even seen the unit, but bought on spec. Does anybody know how this unit compares with SIM's HT200 which I had for a weekend, but found the rainbow effect very annoying so returned it.

Kevin

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Not all manufactuers offer a world wide warrenty.

8. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Techno where did you buy it from?

9. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    technophobe, I almost purchased a sim2 200dm but after a serious bit of viewing i could not live with the poor de interlacer(i did not know that was what the problem was at the time,but it has been explained to me since than)many artifacts,and inconcistent,i did not experience any rainbow effect from this model,but then it has 2 colour wheels,as soon as i saw the new sharp 9000 in action i knew it was the one for me,really good black level and detail(better than the sim 2`s),sure not as good as a fully blown properly set up crt but i felt very very close,i was not aware of any rainbow effect,but gordon noticed it very very slightly,but no where near enough to annoy him,and no where near as bad as the ht200.I`m in the process of looking at importing one from Japan but try ing to suss out the difference between the U and E models,i`ve got a friend in Japan who has checked out the spec over there and it `appears to support pal/secam/ntsc but i`ve heard different over here,and as you can see from RRabi on this thread(thanks for that RRAbi will check it out:confused: ) technophobe could you e mail me the details of where you managed to get it for £5800 in the uk,i guess you would also get the european warranty with that .:)

10. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's not my intention to advertise on the forum, but since a number of member have expressed interest in Sharp's XV-Z9000E ( European Model with warrantee)

It's available at 5800 pounds inc vat from:

SHAHSONIC MEGASTORE.
    42 TOTTENHAM COURT ROAD
    LONDON
    W1P 9RD
    TEL 020 7323 0333

I've contacted him today, and he's clean out of them at the moment. He says they are in short supply as sharp seems to have underestimated the success of this product considdering it to be exspensive for us poor brits. Being a large retailer he's high on sharp priority list for future supplies and expects some more in the new year at the same price.

Will let you all know how I get on with it over the Christmas period, and probably will have as many questions as I have answers.

P.S If anyone calls SHAHSONIC, please mention "The man on the south coast that bought one recently" recommended you.
    You never know he might give me a discount next time!

Kevin

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    shall I wait for LCOS shall I wait for LCOS shall I wait for LCOS...

12. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    but for how long,but for how long ,but for how long:D :D

13. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9000`U`Jap machines spec. states Pal/Secam/NTSC, but the euro spec 9000`E` machine states Pal/Secam/NTSC+Pal 60HZ,can anybody shed any light pleeeze:confused: ,everything else appears the same. thanks

14. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve been told that 60mHz pal, is the American version of Pal,is that correct ??.......hope not, because then, nothing makes sense,as it`s the `E`(european) version that seems to support it.:confused:

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    PAL 60 is effectively a 525/60 formatted image with PAL colour frequency. Commonly output by some dvd players and more crudely by NTSC playback capable vcr. You'll find lots about it on here do a search. Its nice to have but you may never use it anyway.

16. paulsa

paulsa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry, but new to this, but why would the european model support- secam/pal/ntsc and pal 60,whilst the american/jap/canadian model only apparantly supprt secam/pal/ntsc ??

17. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Because PAL 60 is only used in PAL (european/australasian) terratories(sp?)
    It is used mainly as an easy way of converting an NTSC signal to work with a greater number of PAL tvs.
    You will find it when you use an ntsc tape in an english ntsc-capable vcr, on some chipped consoles when playing an NTSC (american or Jap) game, on the 60Hz dreamcast option and on some Multiregion dvd players that don't just pass the NTSC signal unchanged.
    It's a much easier process to change the frequency of the colour information than it is trying to change the resolution or frame rate.

It isn't useful in Jap or US because they would need to convert the other way around (i guess end up with a NTSC 50 signal but I've never heard of this)

HTH
    Alex