Import Region A / Multiregion Blu Ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Vila, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    As my import PS3 has just died I need to think about a solution for playing Region A blu rays...

I'm thinking I would be best to get either an import Region A player - something like the Sony BDP S 350 from movietyme or a multiregion Blu ray player such as the Panasonic BD30 or BD35 from multiregion magic...

If anyone owns an import region A player do the actualy require a step down transformer or are they (like the ps3) actually multivoltage? Has anyone bought a player from movietyme - is it likely to attract import tax?

Has anyone bough a multiregion player from multiregion magic? What are they like as a company?

Is there much advantage to buying the panasonic BD35 over the 30 - i understand its profile 1.3 vs 1.1 but that said I never made any use of the BD live fuctions on the ps3 - i basically watched the film and watched the extras as stand alone docs?

Thanks

2. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Multi region magic are an excellent company and there service is great.
    However you are paying a massive premium for the modification given that you can now pick up a BD35 for around £160.
    You can buy the mod kit for around £75 direct from bluraymods.com and fit it yourself or get someone with the relevant skills to do it for you.You do get a warranty if you buy from multi region magic and if you fit the mod yourself you are officially invalidating your warranty but realistically you would probably get away with it if you removed the mod before returning the player for repair under warranty.
    The choice is yours but a multi region BD35 is by far your best option at the moment IMHO.
    Importing a region A player given the price of imported disc's,import duties,lack of region B playback and the need for a step down is just not a cost effective option at the moment when compared to a multi region BD35 IMHO.
    As for the difference between the BD30/35 at the prices I've seen there is so little difference that the future proof profile 2.0 BD35 with better sd dvd playback is easily the better option and has now officially been discontinued so prices will continue to fall.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  3. Mevlock

Mevlock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    I've picked up a Panasonic BD35 from Costco for £160 however I'm getting multiregionmagic to do the mod installation, not exactly cheap but worth it in my opinion. Just need to get that damn Citylink driver to come back to collect it when I'm actually here!

4. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,802
    my American bd35 is 110V only so needs a transformer. also, american pany and sonys Br players cannot be made region free for SDdvd using the remote hacks available on this forum. if you're going to go down the route of making it region free anyway i'd buy a uk version and get that made region free. not a us model

5. t72bogie

t72bogie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +532
    I did just that a couple of years back, and had a UK HD DVD and US Sony BR, so I had all bases covered :)

yes you need a step-down power supply, but you can get a decent one for under a tenner on ebay

since moving over to 100% blu-ray I needed an upgrade, and for convenience sake the missus bought me a Panny DMP55 for xmas and had it modded for £75 ish, so its multi-region on both BR and DVD :smashin:

6. Vila

Vila

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +770
    I don't fancy soldering any mods myself - but region a playback is a priority. Where have people had their uk players chipped for £75? - that is less than the premium MRM are charging for a pre chipped player.

7. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    has anyone modded a UK 350 / 550 for multi region. I am tempted.

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Not a DIY job on the Sony's I'm afraid.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Personally if I was getting a machine modded I would buy the most robustly built machine possible. Simple reason is it's going to get twice the usage.

The BD35 is technically a nice machine but build quality is not right up there. It's an expensive mod if it goes wrong. The mod is the price of the machine itself on top.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  10. xit2050

xit2050

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +509
  11. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Yes but you have to do it yourself in that case. That is the price of the kit and not everyone has the skill. You are soldering to points on the board itself and a few seconds too long and you'll fry it.

That's why MRM charge £149 to do it for you.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  12. malkit

malkit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I modded a BD35 myself on Friday,it's a bit fiddly but certainly very do-able by anyone with moderate soldering skills and the right tools,the hardest part is stripping the very fine wire included in the kit.
    The mod involves soldering six wires from the mod logic board to various points on the players main pcb,it took about 45 minutes and works perfectly.
    Certainly a cheaper option at £75 than paying someone £160 + return p&p to do it for you.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  13. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Fine tip solder iron, short contact surface pcb experience and a steady hand. You need to get it done right first attempt or it gets messy.

I would say you need 'good' soldering skills and be competent enough to get to the heart of the machine.

I would think the cheapest decent option is to buy the kit and get a professional person to do it for you if you're not confident. Local TV/Radio repair shop type of guy. Risk is still yours though.

MRM will of course do it, but the modchip is also guaranteed for life that way. DVD Library will do it and guarantee their work as well as offering to remove/re-install the logic board for free if your machine was ever to go faulty otherwise. Both places sell the machine pre-modified with their own warranty.

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    according to Blueraymods it is! Have you tried it? or is it just really difficult?

15. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    I've not done the Sony mod but I've seen it - I've done a fair bit of soldering in the past year (including the BD35/55 kit), I'd put the BD35/55 as easy to moderate depending on ones ability, the Sony I'd put at horrendous even if you do know what you are doing! You are talking soldering multiple tiny legs onto other tiny legs (round about 30 or so). Its DIY only if you have some really good soldering kit and the skills to do it. My kit is about £150 worth and its still not capable of that level of expertise never mind me!

I've soldered 8 and 12 pin surface mount stuff but nothing as small as these -too easy to mess up if your skills aren't up to it, even the BD35 kit is very easy to botch, some very tiny soldering points on resistors which are extremely delicate and easy to lift or cook.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I'm pretty good at soldering as a research engineer but you have put me off!! Thanks for the info, that is what I was after.

17. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    I made my cheapo Bush BD player into a region A machine by using the US firmware.

18. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    You could always buy it, see what you think yourself and if need be get someone else to do it for you :)

19. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    same risk, think I will wait. Had a good conversation with Bespoke audio today and have some good plans :)

20. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    It is seriously difficult. You are piggy mounting it over an existing chip and have to solder the legs onto the surface mounted chip. Considering the legs are 0.5mm-1mm apart you are simply wasting your time trying to even attempt it. Don't even bother, just pay Paul Taylor to do it or something.