1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

? import PSP or wait for UK launch

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by RockStrongo, Apr 29, 2005.

1. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have the chance of getting a US import PSP in a few weeks or waiting until the UK launch -0 currently scheduled for about September 2005.

Any body know of any pros/cons to each decision? If I go for the import, will I be able to play ordinary games/movies/wireless games bought over here?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

2. hermanmunster

hermanmunster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Buy now for $250 you will not regret this purchase. The games are not regional and are priced at $40 - $50. The unit will be £199 here in September and the games will be £30 - £40. The mains adaptor is 110 - 240 volts so works here too! The movies may be region encoded but buy direct from US, quality is superb, very watchable. :thumbsup:

3. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    £180, Sept 1st for the Uk.

4. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Personally I cant see whay people are waiting. You can pick up a us unit for £180 now.

As far as I see region 2 coding for the UMD movies is a big disadvantage - They will cost twice as much over here at least. I suppose the only other consideration is warranties.

5. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I've just ordered a Jap PSP. The reason I chose Jap over US is that the Jap is a Region 2, same as UK.

6. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +354
    But Jap dvds only work on multi-region Uk dvd players, (or so I read somewhere). So there's a good chance that Jap UMD movies still won't work on UK PSP's. I still think you're better off with a USA PSP as you can get UMD's for £7-10 del on DvdSoon.

7. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I can't see what DVD's have to do with UMD's. If the UMD's are region 2 they will work in all region 2 PSP's. If you rip a DVD and transfer to a memory stick using Video 9 or something like that then you can play movies in Region 1 and 2 PSP's. I am purchasing a uk PSP in sepetember but hope to order either a U.S or Jap PSP this weekend...just cant quite make up my mind which one to go for

8. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The only thing holding me back at the mo from ordering a US 1 is the warrenty.
    I've had a quote from an importer who says they will give a 30 day guarantee which is fine if it's bust out of the box but then it's between me and Sony they say.
    I can't see Sony being terribly helpful in the UK trying to get a US PSP repaired.

Anyone who's bought from the US got a better offer on the warrenty?

9. atariboy

atariboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah this is a problem because Sony had said that they will not give a warranty on imported units...you woul have to take any problems up with your supplier....it would be a nightmare if you had a dozen dead pixels and had to send it back. I am hoping to find a dealer that I can buy over the counter from so that I can check it out before handing over the cash

10. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What rob is saying is Jap region 2 dvds dont work in UK region 2 dvd players. I have also heard this to be the case. So its a possibility it could happen with UMD movies as they are region coding the discs. Anyway Jap UMD are £20 they will probably be £15 - £20 overhere. WHy pay those prices when you can get them for £7 on Region 1

People need to understand that Dead pixels are not classed as a defect on these things. Sony wont exchange units under the warranty for Dead pixels, certainly not in the US. Its clearly explained in the instructions. I imagine its the same for Japan as well and probably for the UK when they are released here. In the US the PSP only comes with a 90 day warranty anyway. I have mentioned this a couple of times already.

There are places that are doing dead pixel checks over here but you have to pay over the odds for the unit from what I have seen. If people are going to the states and thinking of buying one, get it from EBgames (If they have any stock :rolleyes: ) They will change units for dead pixels apparently.

11. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What are you waiting for buy it now.

You can order games and movies direct from the US if you are concerned about the regions and chances are they will be cheaper to import than to buy in the shops over here anyway - its the usual case. We are being told between 30 and 40 quid for games but the reality will be more like 45 (i recall similar things being said about the xbox prior to release and am yet to find a new release game for less than £40).

Another advantage is that you can play wireless with other regions so thats not going to be an issue :smashin:

12. RockStrongo

RockStrongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Thanks everybody - looks like I'm going to go for the US import version.

One thing though, I thought that I'd read somewhere else on here that the wireless gaming was going to be region locked. Is that correct?

Thanks

13. Big_Si

Big_Si
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Too my knowledge it was a vicious rumour floating about. According to Sony they will be region locked for the movies but the games should run on any.

The way i understand it is that the PSP will play any region game however you may have problems trying to connect a gaming session using two different versions (eg US game with UK game) this is because the UK release of the game might have changed by the time it's released here and may make it incompatible for wireless play with the US version. The theory being if you have two UK or two US or two JPN games trying to connect there shouldn't be a problem

I will try to find the link and repost it

14. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Some say Jap PSP screens are better than the US PSP's.

15. Aunty Mable

Aunty Mable

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    import it dude!! september is FAR FAR away... if u need one just ask me, they got plenty near my house

16. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    Why wouldn't a Jap Region 2 DVD work on a UK Region 2 player?

NTSC/PAL might be an issue but most tv's and dvd players handle both these days.

17. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    That is correct, dont know why anyone would think that a Region 2 Japanese DVD wouldnt work in a Region 2 UK Player, its the same region, only thing that is different is that Japan is NTSC and UK is PAL.

Also I believe it has been confirmed that the original Japanese PSPs came with a Sharp LCD and that recent Japanese and US models now use a Samsung screen but I have had both US and launch day Japanese PSPs and I could not tell any difference at all, both with clear with a nice sharp image.
    Its sellers who have nothing but Japanese PSPs who claim their model is better but there is no truth in it.

18. infinitelivez

infinitelivez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hello i'm think of getting a psp from the u.s. (now that the pound is worth so much over there). i just want to know if anyone can confirm the above quote with regards to the voltage issue?

19. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Wow , 2 year resurrection of old thread , nicely found :)

Sorry i can't answer the voltage question but Argos have a good deal on a psp pack just now over the holiday weekend.

Maybe worth a look as you won't have any potential voltage problems?

20. 2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Don't quote me on this but I think the PSP has recently received a price cut in the US & is selling for £80ish (not sure if thats including tax).

I have a Japanese PSP & the PSU is 110-240 (multi voltage). I would imagine the US version is the same.

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,277
    I had a US PSP afew years ago and it is indeed multi-voltage, you just need a UK figure 8 cable.