1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

import dvd player question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by aood42, May 3, 2003.

1. aood42

aood42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a harmon kardon dvd25 from the USA would it be ok to play through a uk tv ?

also would the power supply be ok to use in uk?

would this play pal dvd's or ntsc only?

any advice would be grateful, thanks

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Quite a few of us early adopters imported players from US in the early days and you will find many Pioneer 606 owners here. It will play through the most modern televisions but will require a transformer to adjust to UK voltage. These only cost £10ish though.

Don't forget that it won't have scart outputs so you cannot use RGB and you may be limited to s-video or component signals.

3. aood42

aood42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks m8 for the advice

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Beware: most US/Japanese players are NTSC only and will not play PAL disc, not even using component (YUV).

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With any USA equipment, ie receivers, power amps etc. is it really as simple as buying a transformer for £10.

About 15 years ago I bought a simple $100 portable CD player and had all sorts of problems getting that to work in the UK. I bought bits and peices from Tandy or Radio Shack but had no real luck. I just spent a fortune on batteries!