Import duty on speakers

oaklandraiders

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Yo

Does anyone know the import rate on speakers, I've tried looking on customs site but cant find it.

Thanks

John

Yo

Excellent I reckoned on 5%.

Thanks

John

Import duty from the states is 9% plus the obligatory 17.5% Vat.
Fron the far east, it gets worse. Duty is 13.4%.
Eric

Yo

Oh no 9% thats putting them up a fair bit, coming from USA as well.
Technically as ones a powered sub could that attract a different rate ?

Thanks

John

I'm pretty sure it's 4.5% from most countries including USA, Taiwan, Hong Kong. I work in freight forwarding and we import loudspeakers for a customer from the far east.

We are talking about speakers without internal amplification?

Yo

Yep its a 5.1 setup with stands for front 2 with an active sub, I'm just putting it all through as speakers. Coming from USA.

john

Its 4.5% import duty from the states + 17.5% vat on top.

If you ring C&E and tell them exactly what your importing and where from they'll give you a code number for the items import duty. You then have to ring another number, tell them this code no and they will give you the % figure.

Its definately 4.5% for an active subwoofer from the states but as for multiple speakers/stands/sub I couldn't say.

John.

Yo

Great that makes it all more reasonable at 4.5%. I should have them in approx 2 weeks, I'll post how I got on !

john

Note that in most countries the cost of shipping is added to the value of the items before calculating the tax!

Good point Reiner, should have mentioned that. In some instances insurance has to be included as well before taxes are calculated.

FYI If you are having the speakers or anything else sent by airfreight, under the 'Official Journal of the European Communities No. L 393/3', a percentage of the airfreight costs can be used. An example would be from the USA to London you would use 75% of the airfreight cost form the east coast (New York, etc) and 84% from the west coast (Los Angeles, etc).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom