1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

import duties when importing from Netherlands ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zcaps57, Apr 29, 2003.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm thinking of ordering a LCD TV for my secondary display from one of online retailer in Netherlands.

I know that when ordering/importing from US, or Japan... I have to pay import duties to UK customs. But does this still apply when ordering within Europe ? (Like my case.. importing a TV from Netherlands which is in Europe :) )

Thanks.

2. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh... just found an answer.

no import tax for goods originating within the EU. :)

3. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yup but i take it you'll still have to pay VAT no?

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    VAT is payable in the country of origin. So, you pay a Dutch retail price (just as a Dutch person would) plus any additional shipping - but that's it. No additional charges payable here.

5. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zcaps57,

Which LCD TV are you ordering ? I have been looking for a LCD TV that can display HD. I want to watch D-Theater which is in 1080i format, with it.

Do you know any LCD TV that can accept, and display HD through its component video input ? (well, there is no connection for HD currently exept for component video. DVI is just hitting the shelves in US, but it needs to be HDCP compliant....just DVI alone is useless.)

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    I think the Samsung LW22A13 is "HDTV ready". It has a DVI port on the back, and comes with a DVD-DVD, and a DVI-DSub cable. Exactly how you'd use it is unclear from the manual. I'm not at home at the moment so I can't check on exactly what signal protocols it can accept, but I definitely remember seeing 1080 as one of the stated standards. And it definitely states that it is 'HDTV ready' (whatever that means). I can't find any useful information on the web either - Samsungs UK site doesn't even acknowledge its existence!!

I can tell you that the LCD panel has a native resolution of 1280x720 which is higher than the other 22inch offerings from Panasonic and Sharp.

7. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MRJAZZ, it's funny you mention HD. That's exactly what I am currently trying to find out.

I'm after Sharp Aquos LC30HV4E which is 30" LCD. And I watch lots of high-definition materials. Both in 720p and 1080i.
    And this Sharp has to be 720p, and 1080i compatible since I'd like to watch HD on it as well when I'm not using a front projector.

I called Sharp tech support this morning, but they didn't have a clue. (This didn't surprise me...typical Europeans....always behind new technology.. :( )

How should I find out........... :(

Nigel, DVI needs to be HDCP compatible to accept 1080i. If the Samsung states its 1080i compatibility through its DVI port, it must be HDCP compliant. Non-HDCP compliant DVI can accept 720p signal as long as the contents are not HDCP flagged.
    But non-HDCP compliant DVI won't accept 1080i no matter contents are HDCP flagged or not.

The Sharp 30", and 37" have DVI on the pannel as well. But I don't think it's HDCP compliant DVI.
    Well.. DVI/HDCP is being replaced by HDMI anyway... :(

8. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

Maybe our video guru Gordon Fraser knows if European version of Aquos accepts 720p, and 1080i HD through its component video input.

I'll PM him. :)

9. MRJAZZ

MRJAZZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to see another HD fanatic!
    Do you have many HD tapes ? Maybe we could share each other. :) Having seen HD for couple of years... I just lost interest in DVD. They all look too bad since I saw HD.

AQUOS is the best LCD. :)
    Whoever Gordon is... hopefully he confirms if it is HD compatible or not.

10. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MRJAZZ,

Don't worry.
    Gordon's opinion is some of my most respected. He is ISF calibrationist as well. :)
    If he currently doesn't know about European Sharp Aquos HD compatibility , probably none does.

I have just over 300 HD tapes for JVC 30k, and Victor(JVC) 35k.
    Most of them are Japanese BS Digital (1080i), and some of them are D-Theater(US 1080i), and some of them are 720p.
    If you live in London, you're welcome to share. :)