Implications of disconnecting phone on Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Remboy, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As the title suggests, I am currently redecorating and don't really want a phone cable running all the way round my newly painted room so am planning to ditch the phone line connection. I would obviously lose box office and some other interactive services but I refuse to pay for any of these anyway since we already pay Sky a packet for monthly subscription. Are there any other implications of disconnecting the phone line? Especially with regard to software udates - I presume these are downloaded direct from the satellite?

I could phone those "helpful" people at Sky but I don't have a spare 2 hours and the answers I get here will be far more reliable!!

Thanks for any help.

2. LDJ

LDJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    none other than what you list. I unplugged my phone cable as the engineer was walking out the door and it hasn't been back in since.
    The box will still work fine and update fully, so no problems there :)

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Software updates do come via the dish.

How long have you had Sky+? IIRC, the T&C's say you need to have it connected to the phone line for 12 months.

John

4. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky occassionally ask your box to 'check-in'. When they do this, the box will attempt to make a call to sky. If the phone line is disconnected it obviously cannot acheive this. I've heard instances where (I guess after a few weeks at least) sky have switched off viewing because the box is disconnected from the phone line, but I imagine you could sort this out with a phone call.

From personal experience, I disconnected sky from the phone line as soon as it was installed and never had a problem. After 12 months you are no longer required to keep it connected and so my box has never been connected. It's been 4 years with no phone and no problems.

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Sky will (particularly with multiroom) check the phone connection by trying to dial the box. If they can't, and you are still within the time period specified in the T&C's, they'll send you a letter telling you to reconnect the box (happened to me last year)

John

6. Remboy

Remboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guys. I'm well outside the 12 month period so no problems there.

7. Ryanmixu

Ryanmixu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    if u have multi room and they cannot get your box to check in then they eventually star to charge u full rate for both boxes instead of the usual extra £10 a month for your second box

8. GrahameD

GrahameD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I am wondering about these incoming calls.

Won't it make the phone ring.? thus annoy people as much as that red dot.

Do sky dial up the box, I have faxes and modems on my line, how do they dial into the box without a ring and waking me? and how do they dial into a specific box if u have multi room?

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky send a command via the satellite to your box requesting it to "phone home", which it does on an 0800 number at no charge to you.

10. DJMoide

DJMoide

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I can tell the phone line is really important during the first twelve months of service. I had just decorated my living room and I move the TV unit from one side of the room to the other. My phone line was disconnected for around four months, I received one letter approximately two weeks after I first disconnected. It said something along the lines of, T and C state that the Sky box has to remain pluged into your phone line during contract period. I take it they must check! Anyways they said that if I did not reconnenct the phone line with-in 30 days they was charge me full service rental, £33 per month. Outragous. Anyways I phoned them up and spoke, after around 45 mins, to a grumpy call centre assistant. She told me that, customers in contract have to be charged full rate as they could be altering the box so that they can have the full service for free, and that Sky checks this via the phone line at least once a month. How true this is I don't know, I have tried checking the itemised bill, but no joy. But the moral is I should have been charged £66 for four months but instead I was charged £115.50.

Incase your thinking, Why on earth did I not plug the phone line in and save the charges, well in part, because I am very stubborn, and can't stand the big brother attitude these companies think are acceptable, and I suppose, in part cause I have a DIY day about once every leap year :oops:

11. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets clear this up once and for all. With one box you must stay connected to a working phone line for at least 12 months from the date of install. With more than one box, all of them must be connected to the same phone number for as long as you have them. If you cancel the subscriptions on the extra boxes you can disconnect the phone line from the remaining box after 12 months. End of story.

12. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a method (the exact details I am unsure of so no pms thankyou) whereby a 9volt battery is used to fool the box into thinking the phone line is in use. When you order a box office movie, the box says ok I'll phone sky when I can to tell them to charge for the movie. As long as the box is not connected, there is no charge to the account. That's why sky are so adamant that the box be connected.

BTW: Anyone even thinking of doing something like this. :nono:
    A - it's illegal (obviously)
    B - the box will never forget the charges
    C - i'm fairly sure it will stop working after a finite amount of times
    D - i repeat i don't know the wiring and have no personal experience of this and please DO NOT pm me about it.

Thanks! :)

13. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The price of the boxes is subsidised by the money made from the companies offering the interactive services on Sky. Sky have a contract with these companies to say that all new customers will stay connected to the phone line for at least a year, and obviously these companies would drop their support if they suspected that Sky were not enforcing their T & C's with their customers.

It has very little to do with Sky having their movies service defrauded. This is a very old hack which Sky are definately aware of, and the reason why the box won't forget about movie purchases is because they are stored on the card.

14. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've have never had a phone line connected to my SKY+ box apart from the day the engineer came to install it. I told him that BT were supposed to have turned up the day before to install an extension socket but had failed to show. I plugged in a 30m reel type extension lead and told the engineer I would plug the box into the proper extension when BT finally showed. I have never received any letters from Sky about this. Think, as another poster already said, it is the multi-room setups they are concerned about. It is to stop you getting multiroom for £10 a month then selling it to a mate.

15. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "A - it's illegal (obviously)"

Really? There is actually a law for this? You could pay a fine or even go to jail? I would be very suprised if the worst that can happen is they cancel your contract.

Cheers

16. wizbongre

wizbongre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    When the engineer came to install our multi-room he explained that with just one box the "phone home" doesn't happen that often... Whereas with a multi-room they phone home about once a month as someone has already said - he told me it was to make sure I haven't given my second box to a neighbour on the cheap!

17. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, you could be surpprised. It's theft, and it would depend on your previous convictions as to what sentence would be handed out. There seems to be a strange belief in this country that theft only applies to physical items. Well, it doesn't, and fiddling with your Sky box to get free movies is as serious as by-passing your electricity meter to get free electricity, and people have gone inside for that, too :)

18. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shhh. I'm still waiting for a bill from npower. They've not charged us a penny since we moved in last July!

19. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I can help you out there. I do work for them.......... :hiya:

20. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a complete waste of time. The card will store the info of any PPV's ordered until it either reaches the credit limit, or it makes a call back to Sky.Some people have had their boxes connected to the phone line on moving house and then been billed for movies they ordered three years before. There is NO way to avoid paying eventually.