1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperfect picture with SCART

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by massta, Jul 31, 2005.

1. massta

massta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a little problem with my SCART inputs on my 25" Philips TV. When I connect a video source to it (any video source), both with composite and RGB, there is a slight picture imprefection, wich does not apppear with the RF input. This is a bit hard to explain, but I will try to specify it; from a distance, the picture seems OK, nothing strange. However, if I look a little closer, I can see a kind of an interference in the picture; it's slightly unstable. There seem to be like waves going all over the screen, which makes especially vertical lines look a bit "wavie" and unstable.

What is a little strange is that through the RF input, this problem doesn't occur. So I'm thinking if there might be something between the SCART socket and the monitor part of the TV that disturbs the signal.

Does anyone have any idea what might be the reason for my (slightly) unstable picture, and how it can be fixed?

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, problems of interference have been discussed quite a few times on the forum. It's possible that you are describing the classic symptoms of interference ('crosstalk') within your scart lead. The RF channel that the tv is tuned to passes down the scart lead to the device connected to at the other end. If the device at the other end is say a DVD player then the picture coming up the scart lead from the DVD player can be interferred with by the (unwanted) RF picture going down the same lead - it can happen with the audio as well. The effect is heightened by the use of poor quality scart leads or poor connections. I would suggest that firstly you make sure all your scart leads are firmly connected at both ends and if the problem persists try a better quality scart lead - you do not have to spend mega£ on expensive scart leads - could you borrow another scart lead to prove the point (or not) before splashing out ? Regards, yt.

3. massta

massta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I have thought of the possibility that the SCART leads may be of poor quality, thus causing the interference. But what makes me doubt is that using the same cables on my other two TVs, there is no problem at all and the picture is perfect. And also, nothing is tuned in on my TV. But maybe RF can interfere anyways? It doesn't seem like there is some underlying, 'ghosting' picture, like from a TV channel.

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, well still on this same theme try tuning the telly to an rf channel, play back a DVD and 'still' frame it on a very dark scene (black preferably) Turn up the brightness on the telly ? - do you see the unwanted rf channel ? turn the sound level right up - do you hear unwanted audio from the rf channel ? if in either case the answer is 'yes' then try higher quality scart leads. If that doesn't cure it then it could be crosstalk within the scart socket/pcb area - unlikely since it would have to be a pretty poor pcb design layout. If you are convinced that it isn't any of these things then only careful inspection of the picture/interference itself will give a correct diagnosis - not possible over the www I'm afraid. If the waves are very close together then this could be a faulty capacitor in the area of the eht generation but again this would require close inspection of the telly by a repairman. I hope this is of some use to you. Regards, yt.